ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

My tool doesn't fit

Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:11 am

I guess I could have found a better name for the subject line, but here goes.

This modern tool does not fit the older valves. The prongs need to be spaced further apart. Where can I find the proper sized tool?

(And yes I know I could file this one down, but I'd rather have the right tool for the right job).

Thanks, Mark.
VALVE1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: My tool doesn't fit

Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:56 am

The fastest would be to take an old screwdriver and your dremel tool and fabricate one. At least that's what I did.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

captain
Plank Owner

Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:15 pm

Most of my regulator and valve tools are home made.
Captain

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:29 pm

Thanks for the input. I guess I know the direction to go in now. Gonna fire up the old Dremmel grinder. Mark.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:47 pm

I've had that problem, so I just make my own by modifying other objects.

The larger handheld was modified from a special tool with a wide flat blade, and the other began life as a 3/8" socket before a Dremel Tool with cutting wheel got after it. The working tabs look a little flimsy, but due to fitting properly and being made from hardened steel it will remove a really stubborn nut when you turn it with a ratchet or breakover. Best way to get a perfect fit and prevent damaging the valve nuts is to make it yourself - cut a little at a time and keep trying it until it fits just right.
Toolsthatfit.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The older I get the better I was.

bubelicious

Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:55 am

I like to do my own regulators too and when working on my older models sometimes I get stuck on how to open things.
Most of the time making something to get the job done works fine but sometimes it does not.

I am just a little bit technical and do not have a proper workshop so most of the time I am looking on Ebay to find my tools
Here in europe I found two places:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/taucherwerkstatt/
http://www.scubaservicetools.com

Marc

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:07 am

bubelicious wrote:I like to do my own regulators too and when working on my older models sometimes I get stuck on how to open things.
Most of the time making something to get the job done works fine but sometimes it does not.

I am just a little bit technical and do not have a proper workshop so most of the time I am looking on Ebay to find my tools
Here in europe I found two places:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/taucherwerkstatt/
http://www.scubaservicetools.com

Marc
Welcome Marc, and thank you for the information. Mark

Return to “Tanks and Valves”