Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Re: DIN / Yoke/Sizing/Compatibility discussion

Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:27 am

rhwestfall wrote:
slonda828 wrote:The XS scuba manifold, and the individual valves when used as singles valves, will not work with the kraken yoke unless you change the knobs out. The new vindicator knobs that come standard on all XS Scuba valves extend too close to the valve face and sit under the yoke when you attempt to mount it.
hmmmm... that wasn't my experience....
Do your XS scuba valves have the vindicator valve system on them?

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:52 pm

yep
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Ron
Site Admin

Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:28 pm

Mine are the ones that convert to a doubles manifold, and they definitely do not fit. When the valve is open, the vindicator knob interferes with the yoke. I'll take pictures when I get home. Maybe the isolator manifold valves are different.

Automan
Lung Diver
First Name: Ian

Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:38 pm

Today I managed to obtain an old Conshelf 1st Stage :)

Not sure of the exact model as the label is damaged.

It does however fit the Kraken :)

This Friday I shall try it on some of our tanks...

The only other thing that worries me is it says it is rated at 3000psi which is just over 200 bar.

Most of our tanks are 232 typically pumped to 240 bar (3528psi).

Ron
Site Admin

Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:19 pm

That's a conshelf 21 yoke. I have some at the shop that look identical to that one that are actually stamped 4000 PSI from later model conshelfs, and the size and shape of the material appears identical. I don't think, personally, that you have anything to worry about. I have used those same 3000 PSI yokes on some tanks that have been jammed.

Automan
Lung Diver

Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:19 am

Many thanks for confirming the model number.

Alas, it does not resolve the compatibility problem as it, like the yoke with Kraken only will fit a handful of the tanks we have.

The issue seems to be with the width of the yoke, see photos below.

Kraken Adapter

Conshelf 21 Adapter. Not so thick so fits a few more tanks.

slonda828 wrote:That's a conshelf 21 yoke. I have some at the shop that look identical to that one that are actually stamped 4000 PSI from later model conshelfs, and the size and shape of the material appears identical. I don't think, personally, that you have anything to worry about. I have used those same 3000 PSI yokes on some tanks that have been jammed.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:32 pm

Sorry that it does not fit everything you have perfectly. At 1st I understood the width of the yoke was the problem....Now you are saying the thickness is the problem? The change we are working on for the Argonaut yoke does not change the thickness of the yoke at all.
I may need to put a disclaimer for European buyers on future Argonaut sales and or suspend sales overseas for now.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Automan
Lung Diver

Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi, the internal width of the new yoke is a problem and it would seem the Conshelf one is better and fits more tanks.

But the tank valve, in the below picture with the offset design won't let you put either yoke adapter on due to the thickness in the other direction pictured in my previous post.

I will take some more photos this Saturday to hopefully make it clearer.

I am hoping to have the Conshelf DIN adapter by the end of next week (fingers crossed).
Bryan wrote:Sorry that it does not fit everything you have perfectly. At 1st I understood the width of the yoke was the problem....Now you are saying the thickness is the problem? The change we are working on for the Argonaut yoke does not change the thickness of the yoke at all.
I may need to put a disclaimer for European buyers on future Argonaut sales and or suspend sales overseas for now.

Automan
Lung Diver

Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:59 pm

As promised, more photos.

In these I feature just one EU/UK Tank design, The Kraken Yoke, Conshelf 21 Yoke, Scubapro MK 2 Plus Yoke and a whip filling yoke.

All the tanks we have are 100% compatible with the Scubapro Yoke and the whip yoke.

Thus if possible, I would base the yoke design on the Scubapro one allowing of course for the connection of the Kraken reducing the height.

You will see it is indeed mainly the width of the Kraken and Conshelf yoke that stops it fitting this style of tank valve but less width/thickness or sculptured shape (like the Scubapro would also be a bonus).

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:58 pm

Thanks for the great details. Can you send me a couple of pictures of that valve without a yoke on it please? Front and back with the manufacturers info if you have any. I will add it to the Argonaut information as a disclaimer that will hopefully avoid any surprises for divers in Europe that only have this valve type available to them.

Herman enlarged the id of the yoke slightly and I am working on getting those for the next series of Argonauts which will be assembled in a couple of months. When more yokes are produced they can make this modification as an extra step.
Unfortunately as far as the thickness of the yoke that is not going to change anytime in the near future. The expense of retooling a yoke makes it cost prohibitive for me to consider doing it for the few valves the current yoke will not fit after modification.

Thanks again for you help on this!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Automan
Lung Diver

Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:26 am

I have my DIN adapter but I guess the wrong one :oops:

It nearly would have worked but the rear o-ring does not fully seat on the rear of the Kraken.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:17 pm

That is not a Conshelf DIN adaptor...or its different from any other I have seen. The O ring should be in a groove up inside the threaded area and will seal against the first stage like it does on a valve.
Conshelf DIN adaptors have knurling on the knob area...the one you have is smooth. Perhaps it is for an Aqua Lung Titan?

Ron
Site Admin

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:23 am

It could be a Mares one too. Some of the older MR-12 style ones sealed like the one he has in the picture, IIRC. Bryan is right though, look for one with an o-ring that seals against the seating face of the first stage and you will be good to go.

Automan
Lung Diver

Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:11 am

Off to the Red Sea this Friday for two weeks of scuba diving...

I shall found out then if my yoke will fit any of their air tanks....

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:17 pm

Bryan,

Any consideration to perhaps manufacturing something like the extinct Conshelf DIN adapter for the Argonaut?
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Return to “Tanks and Valves”