SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Sterilized by Pressure?

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Is Air Sterilized by Pressure?
- I have a heck of a cold and while filling tanks last night I wondered if any of my germs might get into the tanks I filled. Then I got to thinking: These tanks are pressurized far more than the deepest scuba dives... Deeper than the safety zone of oxygen toxicity. Deeper than the realm of terminal nitrogen narcosis, etc. And even if germs could survive all of that, they would be subject to explosive decompression when we breathed them out of the high pressure tank. That's my theory on "germs".
- But what about viruses? My understanding is that viruses are more like molecules than germs. So, are viruses in danger from oxygen or nitrogen toxicity? Do they suffer from explosive decompression? Does high pressure air kill viruses?
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Sterilized by Pressure?

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:24 pm

OH, from the title I thought you were experiencing some personal problem from too much diving :lol:
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Sterilized by Pressure?

Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:35 pm

Eben, this link will answer all of your questions. :D 8)

https://r2---sn-a5mekn7d.googlevideo.co ... 18722&mv=m
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Return to “Compressor Talk”