Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: RIX Compressors

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:43 am

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

scubasteve59
Master Diver
First Name: Steve

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:04 am

Thanks Guys!. I am now in pursuit of a priority backfill valve and will perform maintenance until then. My Dad is coming over to help wire it up and I am going to ask him to evaluate the zerk fitting grease issue and compressor in general. He is old school (86) with 20+ years Army Corp of Engineers instructing heavy diesel mechanics, hydraulics, and electrical repair. His perspective on the swash plate should be interesting. This will be the "family" compressor so I plan on doing it right. 8)

scubasteve59
Master Diver

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:25 pm

OK-ordered a new fan for starters....not too bad and nice folks at Rix. Question:
Antique Diver- Do you know what makes the washers so special (and expensive $17 each) for the new fan retrofit? Are they spring loaded wafer washers???

I need to see some before I order these....
Thanks

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:17 pm

scubasteve59 wrote:OK-ordered a new fan for starters....not too bad and nice folks at Rix. Question:
Antique Diver- Do you know what makes the washers so special (and expensive $17 each) for the new fan retrofit? Are they spring loaded wafer washers???

I need to see some before I order these....
Thanks

My part breakdown doesn't sho any detail other than one washer under the nut. I wasn't aware of a retrofit, but that might require some custom-engineered part that they make. Of course given the typical pricing on hp compressor parts, I wouldn't be surprised if it looked like something you could get from a hardware store :?. Mine must be the older style... I can't see anything that looks unusual on it.

I don't know how many are needed, but only two might be worth doing it right and maybe saving you a lot of time since you are ordering a fan anyway. I see in my 2007 price list that an 8 blade fan #42-107 ($46.15) "replaces all other fans"), and that two fan washers #135-A428-1 ($7.45 ea.) are required "to convert from white fan". Looks like they have gone up a bit!
The older I get the better I was.

scubasteve59
Master Diver

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:11 pm

Apparently the fan has been a weak point they have had to address. New six blade fan ordered today (supercedes all previous fans) was only $15. The washers however were $17 each. I won't dicker around much if that is what I really need but want to inspect it first. Just doesn't seem right to pay that for a washer but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. I'll let you know what I find out on the washers and zerk grease. 8)

captain
Plank Owner

Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:43 pm

If you can ID the washers McMaster-Carr would be the place to look.
Captain

scubasteve59
Master Diver

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:40 am

This weekend I set this up, wired it in, ran couple of times for 1 minute each and then shut it down. Third stage was leaking so I tore it down (simple and clever to work on). The third stage rings are shot. I plan on ordering parts this week from Rix unless someone has some spares for sale or knows another source to get them (Antique Diver- any leads?). So far new: 1)fan, 2)couple rings, 3)backfill regulator. This did set up eight years so I consider this expected.....owned a compressor before.

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:50 am

I'll see if there are any Rix parts left at August Industries from when they had some Navy surplus units if you can hold off one day on ordering. I'll check today to see if there is a used back pressure valve there or in my shop that could save you some $.

Remember to check the cylinder bores carefully for any scoring. Another suggestion comes to mind from my experience with my Rix... I added a purification filter after the final separator because the air was not dry enough to suit me. That separator is tiny, and not very efficient. Just a few minutes too long between manually draining it might result in moisture in your Scuba cylinder - not good for any, but especially bad for a steel one.

I know that Rix sold some of these for use without chemical purification filters, but I am not convinced that's ok after seeing the moisture that does reach my filter. I have a drain valve at the inlet side of my filter (in addition to the manual drain valve on the separator) and I was surprised that some moisture gets past the separator and shows up when I tap the filter inlet drain.

scubasteve59
Master Diver

Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:27 am

Sir, you are a kind man! I can definitely hold off one+ day for better pricing and yes to the used priority regulator. As for filtration, I have a Sprague accumulator that I am going to set up after the rix coalesers for final filtration.

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:43 pm

scubasteve59 wrote:Sir, you are a kind man! I can definitely hold off one+ day for better pricing and yes to the used priority regulator. As for filtration, I have a very nice Sprague accumulator that I am going to set up after the rix coalesers for final filtration. Eagerly await your reply.
I found a good used priority valve at August Industries and I put new orings & backup ring in it while I was there. It's $40. If you wan't it call Kristie and tell her that Brian knows where I put it. 972-245-7000. (don't worry if you don't need it... we can use it)

Looks like the rings and stuff will have to come from Rix, but we can help with fittings and hoses, etc.

scubasteve59
Master Diver

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:17 pm

Bill I owe you one! Got in touch with August industries and ordering the mentioned backfill plus a fill yoke and shutoff. Glad to find out about these folks.......unfortunate on the third stage rings as that is all I need to get this going and the RIX prices are a bit stiff! Do appreciate you doing this Sir. 8)

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:45 pm

You're welcome... that's what this forum is all about.

scubasteve59
Master Diver

RIX Compressors- Rings

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:46 pm

Thanks in part to this forum; I have everything on its way to me to get the RIX up and running...except the third stage rings. As the RIX folks are very helpful and kind, nonetheless I cannot bring myself at this point to pay their ring prices but will do it as a last resort. I had hoped to find a spare military set etc. available to procure. I have engaged several teflon ring compressor suppliers to look into making rings for this compressor and have a solid bite from at least one. Would anyone else with a RIX be interested if I can get these produced?

antique diver
Master Diver

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:04 pm

Be glad you don't have a Davey compressor. A set of rings and the required spacers for the final stage (4th) is $410. Exhorbitant prices are the norm when it comes to hp compressors and parts.

scubasteve59
Master Diver

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:11 pm

I know, but I'll still shop around until...My reasons for owning a compressor are 1)convenience and 2)the enjoyment of working/tinkering with well engineered and interesting machinery..It really doesn't make $ sense on the surface.

Return to “Compressor Talk”