jviss

Safely managing multiple fill pressures

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:15 am

I have a Bauer Purus block with a 2HP 220V motor and P21 filter. The filter is set up to blow off at 3000 psi. It's not a convenient procedure to change this, especially for tank to tank changes. What's a good, safe way to fill tanks that require different max pressures, other than standing there watching the gauge? Is there an automatic switch of some sort available?

Thanks,

jv

captain
Plank Owner

Re: Safely managing multiple fill pressures

Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:52 pm

I have seen large shop compressors set up with a number of pressure switches, each set at a different pressure and a selector switch to select the needed pressure. A lot of expense and complication on a small compressor just to avoid peeking at the pressure every now and then and I do not like to let my compressor run unattended. Besides unless you have automatic condensate drains you still need to dump accumulated water every 10 minutes or so so you can't just walk off for a prolong period of time.
Captain

jviss

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:57 pm

Good points, Captain, thanks. I don't have an auto condensate drain - kicked myself when I missed an ebay auction for the upgrade kit, for peanuts! I was only afraid of blowing up tank if I had a lapse. Is there an adjustable relief valve one could install in-line with a gauge, and set before filling a tank?

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:31 pm

jviss wrote: Is there an adjustable relief valve one could install in-line with a gauge, and set before filling a tank?

The filter is set up to blow off at 3000 psi.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Compressor Talk”