RIX SA3E

Home compressor/fill stations. Post photos of your rig, questions, help,maintenance tips.

Moderator: captain

swimjim
Master Diver

Re: RIX SA3E

Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:01 pm

Looks like your drive belt may be a little loose Eben. Might want to check that out.

Swimjim

SurfLung
Master Diver

Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi Jim,
Yeah, that flappy look has bothered me, too. I've thought of putting an idler wheel in there. The belt is actually very tight (I think)... I have a 3 foot pry-bar I lean on as I tighten the motor mounts. The top is the slack side when the compressor is running so maybe that's why it looks like that.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

antique diver
Master Diver

Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:28 pm

SurfLung wrote:Hi Jim,
Yeah, that flappy look has bothered me, too. I've thought of putting an idler wheel in there. The belt is actually very tight (I think)... I have a 3 foot pry-bar I lean on as I tighten the motor mounts. The top is the slack side when the compressor is running so maybe that's why it looks like that.

There is a page on correct belt tensioning in the manual for my SA6. Probably included in your SA3 manual as well, but if not I can scan it to you, although the specs could be different on the smaller block. Too tight is not good for your shaft bearings on motor and compressor

SurfLung
Master Diver

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:18 pm

Filled at 3 cf/min last night...
- Well, after all of the piston re-ringing and head rebuilding, I slipped the adjustable speed pulley onto the RIX. The specs say at 2300 RPM, it will pump 3 cf per minute fill rate. I turned it on and measure the compressor's RPM... It was a little too fast at 2400+ rpm. So, I dialed the adjustable pulley back one turn, re-tightened the belt and turned it on again. I think it measures 2296 rpm... As close to 2300 as I can get!
- I didn't fill tanks right away so last night when filling and topping off tanks for the Fortune Pond trip was the first time I could give everything a good try. Good results all around:
1 - The fill rate was noticeably faster. My twin tanks and Aluminum 80s actually got warm during their fills... Usually only the single 38s and smaller get warm when I fill them.
2 - The compressor was running cooler. Usually the fan air coming out the back is very warm. This time is was just slightly warm.
SurfLung

SurfLung
Master Diver

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:23 pm

- I'm wondering if my Back Pressure Valve (aka PMV) is working properly. When I don't have the hose connected to the filter array and turn on the compressor, there is airflow coming out. I thought it was supposed to have no air coming out until 1800 psi. BUT, when the hose is connected to the filter array, it does seem that the back pressure valve holds back until 1800 because that's when the needle starts to move on the filter array's gauge.
- However, I disconnected the hose at the BPV and there was some water in the hose. The filter array is located a couple of feet above the BPV so the water stays mostly at the bottom. But I'm wondering if there should be any water in there at all?
SurfLung

antique diver
Master Diver

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:38 pm

SurfLung wrote:- I'm wondering if my Back Pressure Valve (aka PMV) is working properly. When I don't have the hose connected to the filter array and turn on the compressor, there is airflow coming out. I thought it was supposed to have no air coming out until 1800 psi. BUT, when the hose is connected to the filter array, it does seem that the back pressure valve holds back until 1800 because that's when the needle starts to move on the filter array's gauge.
- However, I disconnected the hose at the BPV and there was some water in the hose. The filter array is located a couple of feet above the BPV so the water stays mostly at the bottom. But I'm wondering if there should be any water in there at all?

Here's the manufacturers info and schematic on the valve that you have mounted after your final separator on the compressor. http://valvesandregulators.aquaenvironm ... 20906R.pdf
They are pretty simple, and with your abilities you will have no trouble opening it up and checking out the internals.

They do let a small amount of air seep past the hard seat and ball, and with normal wear can get worse, but I am not sure what is going on with yours since it seems to be responding normally according to your gauges.

About the water... the small original 3rd stage separator will allow some moisture to get past it in normal use, and it ends up in the downstream PMV and air lines. That's why I wanted the secondary separator as the first component in your remote filter array. That separator should catch a lot more moisture before it can reach your filter media, greatly increasing the media life.

Previous
Return to Compressor Talk