Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

MN questions

Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:48 am

What brand reg is Mike wearing and where the hell is his J-rod?
MN.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: MN questions

Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:55 am

I think that I can see the Voit "wagon wheel spokes" on the front can. The can does look funny, but I think that is just the light.

You don't really need a rod, specially if you are not even using the reserve lever. The lever is down. Even if you are using the reserve, some divers used to prefer just to reach the lever.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:28 am

"MN" sucked me right in... I thought you were asking something only us Minnesota divers would know! :)

I read somewhere that divers would sometimes switch the orientation of the reserve lever so that down was "ON" and up was "OFF". This was supposedly because the UP position was sticking out and sometimes got bumped down. AND, just like modern tech divers learn to access their valve knobs, early (and young) divers would just reach back to turn their reserve on or off.

Okay, TRICK Minnesota question: What 4 lakes in Minnesota allow spear fishing for Lutefisk?
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:56 am

SurfLung wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:28 am
Okay, TRICK Minnesota question: What 4 lakes in Minnesota allow spear fishing for Lutefisk?
Eben,

I always thought lutefisk wasn't a particular type of fish but rather a method by which Norwegians would prepare cod or other whitefish. Something or other about soaking in lye? My niece married a Norwegian (I call him "The Viking" - really pisses him off) and that is what he explained to me once while engaged in a drinking game using Aquavit. So my answer is no lakes is Minnesota allow or disallow spearfishing for the creatures because they don't exist. M
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:22 am

You are CORRECT Sir! Lutefisk is a traditional holiday treat in some areas of Minnesota... Around the Alexandria MN area you will see it for sale in the grocery store. Not all of us here have been exposed to it, though. When I moved here, I heard good and bad stories about it. Later a friend invited me to an annual Lutefisk feed at a local church. I found it not bad at all. But they served it soaking in butter... I think even an old boot would taste good with that much butter on it. :)

BTW - My Twin 38s look just like Mike Nelsons (in the picture above). Nice round bottoms. I can't believe it has already been 5 years since I restored those tanks. I recently took them apart in preparation for their Hydrotest... They look pristine inside. I intend to get them tested and re-assembled in time for the Sea Hunt Forever 2019 show... March 2-3 at the Silver Springs Springsfest in Florida!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:28 am

SurfLung wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:22 am
You are CORRECT Sir! Lutefisk is a traditional holiday treat in some areas of Minnesota... Around the Alexandria MN area you will see it for sale in the grocery store. Not all of us here have been exposed to it, though. When I moved here, I heard good and bad stories about it. Later a friend invited me to an annual Lutefisk feed at a local church. I found it not bad at all. But they served it soaking in butter... I think even an old boot would taste good with that much butter on it. :)
The arcane knowledge that sticks in my head quite frightens me at times. :shock:

See you in March!

Mark

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:18 pm

Back when we were young and limber we used to leave the rods off to reduce the chance of potential entanglements. Also played around with reversing the reserves on our valves and later our Calypso-J's in 1970 for the reason you mentioned, but didn't leave them that way for long due to concern about someone else using the equipment.

BTW, I am always amazed at the wealth of information that comes from Mark. When I need to know something I just go to askmark.com :D
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:22 pm

antique diver wrote:
When I need to know something I just go to askmark.com :D
Guess I'm going to have to register that domaine name and connect it to a PayPal account. :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:46 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:22 pm
antique diver wrote:
When I need to know something I just go to askmark.com :D
Guess I'm going to have to register that domaine name and connect it to a PayPal account. :D
Please do! That would be fun.
The older I get the better I was.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:57 pm

Looks like a DACOR C - 2 Clipper because of the size of the exhaust can and the vent hole spacing. It's not a USD or Voit reg for sure.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:03 pm

After further review and higher magnification, it's a Voit can..........................................

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”