Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Mox

What do I have here?

Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:55 pm

Bryan, thanks for letting me in, is this a "mixmaster" reg? A shipmate recently gave me this; shiny chrome cases, no tag, frosted chrome hp block and frosted yoke.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:44 pm

The body and yoke are from an Aqua-Lung (Broxton) or DA Navy/DA Navy Approved regulator. The yoke is the early style that used a bolt as opposed to a wing nut type. The body has been chromed.....None of the regulators that used those internals had chrome cases. But since the 2nd stage is facing the correct way in the case I would say someone chromed the box halves....I've been wrong before......Others will chime in I am sure...
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

BROXTON CHUCK

Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:42 am

The body IS from an late BROXTON aqua lung. It has the notches for the cans. The horse shoe has been replaced with one from a da navy approved. The adjustment nut and screw are are the original brass, as well as the screws, and most amazingly of all..... the hinge pin!!! The cans are from a 60's aquamaster with the long horns. What a swell reg. Ill bet if it could talk, it would have some great storys to tell. Chuck

Mox

Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:34 pm

Thanks for the reply, can I change my name to "partialy Broxton Tim" or something? I've got the body and cans sitting next to me along with a DA Navy approved and I honestly can not see a difference between the two other than the plating is coming off the innards of the one in the picture.

So, what advice do you have for me on this- any reasonable chance of finding a set of broxton cans and a aqua-master body and make two correct regs? Or just run what I got?

Did you notice the body has "1000" scratched in it?

Tim

BROXTON CHUCK

Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:43 pm

So it has the MAGIC NUMBER 1000 on it!!!! WOW, that is one of Cousteaus personal hybrid regulators. Maybe if you put it on ebay, one of those guys with too much money, and too little brains will make a rich man out of you when you auction it. What an opportunity. If you have a da navy, they are the same. Fix your da, and save this one for parts. Chuck

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:48 pm

Depends on what you want to do with it.....I would just put it together and dive it as inexpensivly as I could. Don't put a lot of $$ in it as I doubt you will ever get it back out of it. My favorite 2 hoser looks like hell but I wouldn't part with it....

People scratch all kinds of crap into old double hose cans....Chrome cans are fixable but the brushed finish poses a real problem to duplicate.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”