Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

HW Scuba HP valve survey

Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:31 am

Hi all,

I'm hoping to collect some information about the two different length valve bodies that the Heathways Scuba came with. Would anyone who has one of these regulators please leave a reply with whether yours has a long or short valve and the serial #?

You can easily tell by looking at the spacer between the can and the yoke. The long one is about 5/8" and the short about 1/2":

ImageDSCF2411 by Vancetp, on Flickr

I am also interested in whether any Scuba Deluxes came with a long valve. If anyone has a Deluxe with the long valve, please record it here!

Thanks!

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: HW Scuba HP valve survey

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:56 am

I never owned a SCUBA so I can' t be any help there. Seems like I have (but may have sold) a Deluxe somewhere in my boxes of stuff, so far I have not found it. I do have a Gold Label somewhere, if I run across it I will check it......I have too much stuff. :)
Herman

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:28 pm

Okay, I got out to the shop and checked out my Healthway's Regs

My Scuba SSN:12791 has the 5/8" spacer

My Scuba Deluxe SSN: 2068 has a 1/2" spacer

I looked at my Gold Label and it's yoke meets the can, so there is no spacer

Jim

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:16 am

Thanks for looking! The spacer is there hidden under the yoke on the GL. I'm pretty sure that they are all short, or there would have been complications with the yoke fitting over different ones.

I suspect that the Deluxes all had a short valve as well, but I'm not sure. 1st gen Scubas seem to be the only ones with either long or short. I have no idea why there were two different valves.

I discovered this when I tried to put a new nylon plunger in one of my long valved Scubas, and ended up with a very floppy lever. A quick look at my more than several Scubas led me to this odd fact.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”