Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

HW main diaphragm top plate question

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:18 pm

Here is one of Rob's superb Healthways main diaphragm reproductions next to an original from a HW Scuba 1st gen that has a top plate. My question: is there any benefit (or detriment) to having a top plate affixed?

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Re: HW main diaphragm top plate question

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:06 am

My personal opinion is NO! On the original diaphragms, the top plate might have been there to ensure strength and seal protection due to the materials being used, just a guess. With Rob's new silicon diaphragms I have found no evidence of seepage into the air chamber. The top rivet point can protect the seal and in some cases, I have shortened and compressed that rivet a little more at times, so as to tweak the reg for easier breathing effort as the rivet is IMO a little high, especially in the 1955 model. I've rebuilt 4 Healthways using Rob's diaphragms and they breath great.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:01 am

Bronze06 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:06 am
My personal opinion is NO! On the original diaphragms, the top plate might have been there to ensure strength and seal protection due to the materials being used, just a guess. With Rob's new silicon diaphragms I have found no evidence of seepage into the air chamber. The top rivet point can protect the seal and in some cases, I have shortened and compressed that rivet a little more at times, so as to tweak the reg for easier breathing effort as the rivet is IMO a little high, especially in the 1955 model. I've rebuilt 4 Healthways using Rob's diaphragms and they breath great.
Thanks for responding Russ. I think you're right, I don't see how it would make much of a difference other than to clamp the bottom plate tighter to the diaphragm. Not sure that helps any. If I want to be authentic I guess I could drill out Rob's pop rivet, add the old upper plate and pop rivet it all together again. Sort of sounds like overkill.

I shall continue to ponder the issue over a single malt and a Monte Cristo No. 2
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:07 pm

That sounds like a great way to ponder to me.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”