Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

SEALAB 1 Revisited by Bernie Campoli

Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:31 pm

Bernie posted this some other spot and wanted me to share it with everyone here. ENJOY!

Ahoy,
I just resubscribed to SW to clear up a error that has been repeated many times on the subject of Tanks and regulators used on SEALAB 1,
Master Diver Robert Sheats ordered USD Aquamaster Regulators (16 my log book says) and as I had my gauges and tools with me he had me take them apart and rebuild each one to spec. "And take all those yellow off!" and put black one's on. Later we had to use the yellow hoses for replacement hoses, you may see some photos from SEALAB 1with divers with yellow and blacks hoses, thats the reason.
Tanks for Surface support divers and Underwater Photographers. There were NO Twin 90's on SEALAB 1!
USD Twin 72cu ft cylinders was what we had and used and there were many dives a day by all including Captain. Bond and Commander(at the time) Walt Mazzone,who was my dive buddy most of the time or C.J. Tuckfield. If I dove with Car. Mazzone we could get a 15min dive along with a stop aprox. 15 feet. now called a safety stop. My old Navy Log book lists 18 dives in support of SEALAB 1 below The 130 foot standard limit, all in the 190-220 depth range, as a USN Photographer/Diver. (NEC-8136)
At time we shot every thing on 35mm motion picture film, The underwater motion picture equipment consisted of a Sampson 35mm Underwater housing with a vintage (WW2) Bell and Howell 35mm camera with a Sampson 400 foot magazine, it weighted just over 100 lbs. trimmed for salt water. I like to call it the gopro camera of the 1960's. As the Nikonos camera was available we had just started using them, all stills we see were made with a 35mm lens which was the only lens available at the time,I had done a bunch of test prior to SEALAB and used Kodak Tri-X film processed in Acufine Developer rated at asa 250 give the best results.
SEALAB 1 took place at a Man Made structure named Argus Island aprox. 35 miles off Bermuda,it was sunk in the the US Navy in the 1970's,I left the US Navy in early 1966 and and a few months was hired by Ocean Systems Inc. submerged division and returned Argus Island with a submersible named "Cubmarine" to did cable surveys in around the tower and did many more Scuba divers while there.
It Was and I imagine now days even better as the Best Artificial Site I ever dove at Incredible visibility and lots of saline,but just as in 1964 weather ended our project.
Off topic Last weekend at "Beneath the Sea"I was awarded their "2017 Diver of the Year Award." for service at 78 years of age my daughter Andrea thinks that was Cool.
End of Rant.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Popeye
Master Diver

Re: SEALAB 1 Revisited by Bernie Campoli

Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks for posting on VDH Bryan...I see my Spell check didn't work.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:46 pm

2017 Diver of the Year... I think its pretty darned cool too, Mr. Campoli. Thanks for sharing your Sea Lab stories.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

8dust
Master Diver

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:34 pm

Good stuff, Bernie! Thanks.

It does seem to take a while for your kid to realize just how cool their father really is..... :? :roll: I'm thinkin' I've got just over 20 years to go.... With luck I'll still be around to witness the epiphany.... :shock:

And congratulations on your latest, in a string of awards!!! :D
Freddo
NAVED member #201

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:50 am

Thanks for the great info and Congratulations on your Award! :D
Jl

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:17 am

Bernie posted: "Off topic Last weekend at "Beneath the Sea"I was awarded their "2017 Diver of the Year Award." for service at 78 years of age my daughter Andrea thinks that was Cool."

Bernie, Congratulations on another truly prestigious award!

Looks like I may have to resort to making up my own award of some type to impress my daughter. Suggestions considered. :lol: :lol:
The older I get the better I was.

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:38 pm

Friend and I traveling on a dive vacation listened to the Sea Lab audible book. Awesome book. Although, both of us lost any respect for Cousteau and constantly argue with my Cousteau loving cousin that Cousteau never really added anything to diving exept looking good on tv.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

couv
Master Diver

Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:04 pm

Thank you for sharing, and congratulations on a most prestigious award. Your daughter KNOWS that is cool-because it is.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

USdiver
Master Diver

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:55 pm

That is some REAL history! And well deserved recognition as Diver of the Year, the year itself of †he award is immaterial.

Thanks for all of your contributions to diving, Bernie.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”