Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
gene8084
Diver
First Name: Gene

Label refinishing?

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:35 pm

I read a post a few days ago where someone had followed "Bryan's" instructions to clean and repaint a label. I've searched and poked about quite a bit, clearly using the wrong search criteria. Can someone point me to the instructions for cleaning and repainting a label?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Label refinishing?

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:31 am

I think Dan over at VSS did a write up about this years ago. Could not have been me as a chimp with a paint brush has 100% more artistic ability than I do.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:29 pm

- My first regulator re-build included re-painting the label. I called it the "Green DAAM" and it is a green hose DA Aqua Master with a green label.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5636&hilit=green+daam

- My final technique was as follows: Spray paint the entire label the color you want it. Let it dry. Then, wipe the paint off the raised letters by wiping the label against a piece of copy paper that's laying on a flat surface. The copy paper should have a very light amount of acetone moistening it. Too much acetone and it will squeegee into the paint you don't want to touch.

- I used this method to paint the label for my "Mystery Mess" rebuild, too...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6141&hilit=mystery+mess
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

stefeyme
Lung Diver
First Name: Stephane

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi!

In case the "chrome paint" on top of the letter and around the label is in too bad shape , here is another way to do it:

- clean the plate to the metal
- have it rechromed
- paint it the color you want (light spray)
- remove the paint on the top of the letter with a razor blade.
Pictureplates.jpg
have fun!!

cheers!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gene8084
Diver

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:48 pm

SurfLung wrote:- My first regulator re-build included re-painting the label. I called it the "Green DAAM" and it is a green hose DA Aqua Master with a green label.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5636&hilit=green+daam

- My final technique was as follows: Spray paint the entire label the color you want it. Let it dry. Then, wipe the paint off the raised letters by wiping the label against a piece of copy paper that's laying on a flat surface. The copy paper should have a very light amount of acetone moistening it. Too much acetone and it will squeegee into the paint you don't want to touch.

- I used this method to paint the label for my "Mystery Mess" rebuild, too...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6141&hilit=mystery+mess
Wow, that looks great. I can't believe how nice that can came out with Vinegar and Water. Beautiful job on the label. While it doesn't sound easy, at least you can always start over and perfect the process.

Thanks.

gene8084
Diver

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:50 pm

stefeyme wrote:Hi!

In case the "chrome paint" on top of the letter and around the label is in too bad shape , here is another way to do it:

- clean the plate to the metal
- have it rechromed
- paint it the color you want (light spray)
- remove the paint on the top of the letter with a razor blade.
Pictureplates.jpg
have fun!!

cheers!!
Interesting, are most plates Chromed before painting?

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:26 pm

Why Repaint If You Don't Have To?
- I should mention that I haven't re-painted a label since those two projects that were 3-4 years ago. There are beautiful reproduction labels available here at VDH. Click http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/L ... ort=normal
- I have purchased several from VDH and Allan Klauda... Some for regs and some just for my collection. :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”