Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
stefeyme
Lung Diver
First Name: Stephane

Non-mag DAAM ??

Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:29 am

Hey folks, Happy New Year to all of you!

I've just purchased this item, the plate's color, the stubbed hookah port and the low MU mark seem to indicate this is a a non-mag DAAM that would have been re-chromed sometime in the past.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
$_57-2.jpeg
$_57-3.jpeg
$_57-4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Re: Non-mag DAAM ??

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:47 am

It is very possible you are correct in your assumption. The thing that sort of validates your thinking is the stub on the body instead of a hookah port on a W.Warner reg. MU body marks and bronze/black paint in the label, plus one thing you don't mention and that is the dark bronze can clips. I have seen a lot of regular chrome can clips on some pretty messed up regs, but none of them ever had that kind of non-mag patina to them as yours does. All civilian production DAAMs would have had a hookah port on it during the W.Warner period except non-mag types. Here is a W. Warner non-mag from Robs site at The Scuba Museum.
NONmagBACKwGAUGE.jpg

Come on guys, chime in here, as I am not a collector of the non-mag varieties, but I know (pretty much) what to look for when I run into one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:56 am

I don't know a lot about antimags but I do know all the major parts were marked in some way. I was thinking the internals of the nozzle are gold plated on an AM, the filter is not for sure. According to the information page, the AM should have the Mu marks on the yoke as well, I don't see one but I can't see the entire thing either. This one is going to be a mystery.
Herman

stefeyme
Lung Diver

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:16 am

Thanks Russ and Herman for the info,

It's what I thought as well, the filter should be "gold" color though if it has been maintained/restored it is standard procedure to replace it, I don't see the MU mark on the yoke neither though the pics are not exhaustive on that.
I should receive it in a couple of weeks, I'll make sure to keep you post about what's inside, I really hope last owner kept the good plated part (though I'm not too optimistic about that)

Thanks again guys!

Cheers

Stéphane

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:55 am

Never know, I once bought a "DAAM" on Ebay but when it arrived it had a balanced (RM/RAM) nozzle with Royal Master (not RAM) internals- they are different than the later RAMs. The reg was supposed to be one owner but he claimed to have no idea how they got there...I was VERY clear that I was very happy to get the parts and was not upset, just wanted to know the history. I would bet this is one of those "use up the parts" regs that USD was know for or maybe one cobbled together at a military base form spare parts.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:11 pm

I doubt the actual providence of the regulator will ever be know but I'd say your idea that it's a re-chromed non magnetic is a pretty good one.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

stefeyme
Lung Diver

Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:08 am

Definitively a Non-mag, just received it today, the MU sign is also on the yoke, the inside can has black paint traces and the second stage holder is marked with the gold plated marker.

The plate's number as well matches, it is included between 234.690 and 241.402 which are the limits of confirmed to date as non-mag DAAM (according to Ed LaRochelle - the Journal of Diving History, Winter 2011 Volume 19, Issue 1 Number 66 - Thanks Jiguad for the Intel)

So a lot of work ahead to bring it back to its first glory but this is a great news indeed!!!

Cheers!!

Stéphane
IMG_2489.jpg
IMG_2490.jpg
IMG_2486.jpg

crimediver
Master Diver

Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:50 pm

I have three or 4 non-mags including one single hose Conshelf 6. All have the gold sintered screen. I am sure that one probably had one but was replaced during a servicing.

stefeyme
Lung Diver

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Good to know, thanks for the intel Crimediver,

I'll post some pics when I have it rebuilt!

Cheers!!

stefeyme
Lung Diver

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:34 pm

Well, after a month of hard work.... here it is, back in its original condition, as close as I could go...

All parts have been bared to brass; nozzle, seat, spring block, seat holder and disc & retainer have been gold plated; cans, body, yoke and screw have been painted in mate black and the rest is bare brass.

I found that the pad was marked as well with the "gold plated mark" which is amazing because I did not identify this part to be good plated...

It breathes quite well even though it has been a bit challenging to tune it right.
IMG_3160.jpg
IMG_3161.jpg
IMG_3213.jpg

gj1963
Master Diver
First Name: Geoff

Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:44 pm

Very nice work!
-Geoff

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:44 am

Very nice attention to detail on the internals. I did one a last year and closed it up with the original c-clips. Test dove it last year and was quite happy with how it performed. I'm afraid to open cans now for fear of scratching finish.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:06 am

Wow... nice restoration job! :D
The older I get the better I was.

stefeyme
Lung Diver

Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:50 am

This is the full story posted on my blog.

Cheers!!

https://www.whatmattersiswater.com/sing ... -your-door

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:39 am

Well done and a great write up.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”