Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
dukenougat3d
Skin Diver
First Name: Jack

Regulator Can Rechroming

Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:01 pm

This is on my Healthways Scuba Deluxe rebuilding again - I've touched base on this topic in the previous thread I had on it, but I feel like I need more than one opinion. All that really needs to be done to my healthways at this point is get the cans rechromed. Unfortunately, I do not know many good options for this. Sending it to a local automotive chrome shop was suggested to me in the last thread, but I feel like they won't be as careful with it or do as good a job on it. I've read a couple threads about experiences with BAR Plating Inc. and I'm waiting to hear back from them about their services. In the event they don't work out, does anyone know of any places that have or do work on rechroming regulator cans?

I can't really show it that well, but my cans have a generous amount of scuffing and a couple minor pits on the outer edge of the outlet can, there is a good amount of damaged finish around and under the valve seat, and just generally minor spots of the chrome wearing down to the bare brass or the copper plating here and there. I'm wanting this rechromed for function as well as appearance. I've considered getting it powder-coat painted, but I realized the clamp out wear off the paint and expose the metal underneath. Plus it would be impossible to properly paint the inside of the valve seat.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Regulator Can Rechroming

Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:52 pm

Contact companies that do chrome and metal restoration for high end antique boats. They can handle the work but be prepared to pay handsomely and wait a long time for it to get done. I'd expect you could buy three or four other Healthways regulators for the cost of having the cans re-chromed by a qualified professional.
To have the speedometer dial, bezel and housing re-chromed for my woody boat was so expensive I just learned to enjoy the patina....
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

dukenougat3d
Skin Diver

Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:55 pm

I see, thanks for the info. BAR Plating actually contacted me back and said they'd do it for $100, but I'll still be on the lookout for spare healthways cans in decent shape if something doesn't go right with them.

stefeyme
Lung Diver
First Name: Stephane

Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:16 pm

If you don't mind sending it to Valencia/Spain, I have a guy here doing excellent chroming work for vey few bucks, last DAAM I had re-chromed entirely (inside part as well) was around 80USD and the result is astonishing... see by yourself...

Cheers!!
la foto 3.jpg
la foto 2-1.jpg
la foto 1-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dukenougat3d
Skin Diver

Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:21 pm

I've already sent my cans off to BAR Plating and I'm waiting to hear back from them. If anyone has any experience with them, how long should one expect to wait for them to email you back that they've finished? I sent out my cans as the end of December and no news back from them yet.

Douchebag
Master Diver

Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:51 pm

I've been wondering about coming out of retirement....

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:34 pm

Douchebag wrote:I've been wondering about coming out of retirement....
And there is hope for Valhalla once again...

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

dukenougat3d
Skin Diver

Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:26 am

If what you're saying comes into play, I'll come to you next time. BAR Plating doesn't accept paypal and I'm not eager to give up my credit card information for someone else to make payment on, so now I have to mail out a check to pay them for my cans back.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:41 pm

I have never see metal work or chrome plating on a regulator that is in the same league as what Dave does.

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:23 pm

I own five regulators that Dave worked his magic on. They are truly pieces of art, and none will ever leave my collection. In addition to his metallurgical skills, he is a great guy as well.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:30 am

A glimmer of sun on the horizon? FWIW, if you should, please, please, please take on a young and motivated apprentice....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

MK15diver
Vintage Diver

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:00 pm

Hoping Douche Bag comes out of retirement soon. I have a bunch of regulators that need new chrome. His work is amazing and worth the money.
Someone told me that diving a double hose reg will kill me. I had no idea these things were dangerous.

dukenougat3d
Skin Diver

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:43 pm

I hope he comes out of retirement, too. BAR Plating has been giving me the runaround for payment. I'm not going to personally tell them my credit card information and now I almost mailed the wrong check! Plus replies have been very slow on very important issues - such as mailing address and just now, I find out you can't mail personal checks right after I put the check in the mail!
I'm rather irritated, to say the least.

gj1963
Master Diver
First Name: Geoff

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:24 am

I definitely have a few I'd send in if you do......
-Geoff

Robohips77
Master Diver

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:24 pm

Hell yes. You would have enough work for a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”