Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Fibonacci
Master Diver
First Name: Graeme

Farallon SPG overhaul...

Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:30 pm

I have a vintage 1970's Farallon SPG (in psi) that I originally started diving with... while it still seems to work perfectly the o-rings are old now and I'd like to restore it as part of a classic DH set up.

It uses an early integral form of SPG spigot, but takes the usual o-ring... no problems there.

However the flanged connector uses two o-rings one in compression at the end, and the other around the shaft of the connector.

Anyone familiar with these old gauges and know what size o-rings to get?

Not sure whether these were just rebranded gauges made in Italy or they really were made in USA... and so Metric or Imperial o-ring sizes.

Also the HP hose is 3/8" UNF vs modern HP hoses which are 7/16" UNF.
I could just use an adaptor but I'd like to keep it looking original... however cannot find a source of HP 3/8" UNF hoses or HP 90 Duro o-rings to suit, most are 70 Duro.

Any advice gratefully received :)
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Farallon SPG overhaul...

Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:33 pm

Fibonacci wrote: Anyone familiar with these old gauges and know what size o-rings to get?

Not sure whether these were just rebranded gauges made in Italy or they really were made in USA... and so Metric or Imperial o-ring sizes.

Trident has an O-ring chart that downloads as a PDF and you can size them from there. I'll bet they are standard imperial size.

Also the HP hose is 3/8" UNF vs modern HP hoses which are 7/16" UNF.
I could just use an adaptor but I'd like to keep it looking original... however cannot find a source of HP 3/8" UNF hoses or HP 90 Duro o-rings to suit, most are 70 Duro.

I have been selling 3/8" HP hoses in the website store for 8 years now. .

Any advice gratefully received :)
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Fibonacci
Master Diver

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:11 pm

Aha... right under my nose :oops:
http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/H ... ry=8331915

Trident chart here:
http://www.tridentdive.com/achart.pdf

O-rings appear to be R013 for the barrel and R012 for the end

Thanks Bryan!
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

couv
Master Diver

Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:33 pm

I am interested to know if that gauge has a blow out plug. I had a Farallon SPG very similar to that one blow the face plate out zinging past my favorite ear. Later, I looked at the back and found no blow out plug and have been wondering if it was designed that way or if it was just an oddball manufacturing defect.

I believe I have some duro 90 -003 o-rings; send me your snail mail address and I get some out to you.

Here is my o-ring "size matters" cut and paste info:

If the old o-ring appears to be a standard size, i.e. 1/16 inch cross section, measure the outside diameter of the stem the o-ring fits on and multiply by .98 to give you the inside diameter of the o-ring you need. Go to an O-ring Sizing Chart http://www.marcorubber.com/sizingchart-oring-usa.htm and find a seal with those dimensions. For instance, you measure the stem and it's 0.244 inches. X .98 = 0.239 Find the o-ring on the chart with that i.d. (or slightly smaller) and you'll see a -010 is the correct size. As cheap as o-rings are, buy the next size larger and smaller and you should be all set. Alternatively, take the parts to the hardware store, find the correct size then order a Viton or EPDM seal.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Fibonacci
Master Diver

Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:50 am

Hi Couv
Thanks for your reply... I will check the back of the SPG to see if there is a blow out plug but I don't recall one.
I already have a good supply of the 003 spool o-rings thanks just chasing the others.
Great tip... will remeasure them and report back in case other VDH members need the info...

Fibonacci
Master Diver

Farallon SPG overhaul...

Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:31 am

Fibonacci wrote:Hi Couv
Thanks for your reply... I will check the back of the SPG to see if there is a blow out plug but I don't recall one.
Flipped the gauge and there it is... black rubber plug!

couv
Master Diver

Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:41 pm

Fibonacci wrote:
Fibonacci wrote:Hi Couv
Flipped the gauge and there it is... black rubber plug!

Thanks Fibonacci,

I must have had an oddball gauge. It's the only one I've seen without a blowout plug.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”