Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
beeger
Diver
First Name: Brad

Mistral Filter

Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:56 am

I recently disassembled my DW Mistral as a first step in overhauling it. Everything came apart as expected and I’m excited to place my order for new parts (kit, duckbill eliminator, diaphragm, etc.). One part I’m still on the fence about replacing is the sintered filter. Mine seems to be in good shape but I’m very used to replacing these on single hose regs out of habit as these are usually included in parts kits. I see that VDH sells the Conshelf filter/spacer set as a replacement for the Mistral filter (and probably others) that had the metal band around the filter. Any thoughts on whether I should perhaps just run my existing filter through the ultrasonic or should I add the new filter/spacer to my shopping list? I think my filter is ok (no apparent corrosion), but I have no problem adding the new set to my list as the cost is so reasonable. Since it isn’t an exact replacement, I thought I would ask. Based on my understanding on how the Mistral works I believe the thickness of the filter would affect spring compression which would affect performance obviously.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or guidance.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Mistral Filter

Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:25 am

Clean your existing filter.......After cleaning check to see that the sintered metal is solid and is not flaking off or deteriorated. Most of the time the original filter can be cleaned and re-used unless it has been heavy salt water corrosion. If it needs to be replaced the filter/spacer combination in the website store will be the correct replacement.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:38 am

I occasionally clean filters that are still in decent condition in my ultrasonic cleaner, but I don't really know if there are any hidden ill effects to that. Inspect carefully afterwards for condition, then decide whether to use or replace. Be sure to let them dry thoroughly before installation.
The older I get the better I was.

beeger
Diver
First Name: Brad

Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:04 am

Thanks to you both. I'll give it a good clean and be sure to report back if there are any unexpected results. I expect success.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”