Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Jaypee
Skin Diver
First Name: JP

Clearing one's ears with an oval mask

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:16 am

I've been doing some research on alternate methods to clearing one's ears over the 'pinch your nose and blow' and now my question has become more urgent since i purchased one of Bryan's oval masks recently (which by the way i love!). So there it is, what is your advice on clearing ears without the ability to pinch your nose?

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Clearing one's ears with an oval mask

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:21 am

Jaypee wrote:I've been doing some research on alternate methods to clearing one's ears over the 'pinch your nose and blow' and now my question has become more urgent since i purchased one of Bryan's oval masks recently (which by the way i love!). So there it is, what is your advice on clearing ears without the ability to pinch your nose?

Try pushing up on the mask skirt with your two thumbs directly under nostrils. You should be able to seal them off just as well as with the pinch method.
Another way that works pretty good for me is to just push the mask firmly and evenly against your face to create an tight and even seal, then blow.
The older I get the better I was.

Jaypee
Skin Diver
First Name: JP

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:00 am

So i actually put the mask on and the reg in my mouth in my bedroom and practiced that until i could get it right without fogging my mask up. I am pleased to say it worked! That should give me the confidence to practice the other equalising methods whilst i am diving. Thanks very much!

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:17 am

You're welcome.
You might get a little water leakage if the skirt distorts too much when pushing up, so practice this in shallow water until comfortable before trying it at 200'! :shock:

Happy Diving!
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”