Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

FrankinMAG

Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:20 pm

A few months back while perusing the inter-web I found an auction for USD Mistral double hose. On closer inspection of the limited pics I noticed that this was a clear case of false advertising. What I was looking at was actually a NONMAG body with some mismatched parts. Overall it's not in great shape but I have seen worse. I've done a little cleanup and have enough spare parts around to get it back in service and make it look as original as possible. One problem I see right away is that the threads where the second stage seat holder screws in is a little boogered up at the top. I think I can straighten that out with a thread chaser.
rsz_20160416_182535550_ios.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

captain
Plank Owner

Re: FrankinMAG

Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:22 pm

Finding a thread chaser will be the problem, not a common thread size. The simplest solution may be to grind away the damaged area of the threads.
Captain

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:54 pm

Are any of the parts low MU stamped or gold plated with the scribe line around them by chance?
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

EHowe
Master Diver

Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:13 pm

captain wrote:Finding a thread chaser will be the problem, not a common thread size. The simplest solution may be to grind away the damaged area of the threads.
Thanks captain that's what Ill try 1st. MU stamp on body.
rsz_20160416_182703575_ios.jpg
. Second stage seat holder looks gold plated and retaining ring is straight brass with no finish. I haven't opened 1st stage yet but filter is gold in color but nozzle is chrome plated. Ill most likely screw in a DA nozzle I have that has been serviced and than replaced with a cyclone. After a coat of black oxide of course :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EHowe
Master Diver

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:47 pm

Finnaly got this one in the water. Using some parts on hand, some from VDH store and a diaphragm from The Scuba Museum, I was able to get it back in service. I had no way of setting IP using a guage. I put it on a 300 psi tank and adjusted until air bipassed 2nd stage then backed it off a little. It performed with no problems on a 75 min. dive. Not as good as my HOT DAAM but good. I will probably bring it along for the northern get together in a couple of weeks at Fortune Pond. After that its for sale or trade. Anyone want to guess on Value?
rsz_p1030303.jpg
rsz_p1030304.jpg
rsz_p1030309.jpg

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”