Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Sea Hunt Forever Porta-Sub

Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:16 pm

Sea Hunt Forever
Episode 1 - "The Porta-Sub"
- I finally got some of my underwater video from Sea Hunt Forever edited. This one shows the best of what I shot of Sea Hunt Jerry's Voit Porta-Sub being driven by Jerry Lang, Me, and Eva Pennington. During Jerry's ride, you'll also see other divers with spearguns and knives PLUS Joe Musial lighting and swimming with an underwater flare. Sunday was the day we could bring our cameras... Pretty much stumbling over each other... :)
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ4V0KiLbOE[/video]
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Popeye
Master Diver

Re: Sea Hunt Forever Porta-Sub

Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:19 am

Looks like as long as Jerry is Kicking his Fins the "Porta-Sub" Works, I used one back in the Day and always thought They made a goos Door Stop.

8dust
Master Diver

Tue May 03, 2016 4:15 pm

in the Porta-Subs defense, there was a darn heavy flow coming out o' the spring...

Jerry / Jr. Mike was rockin the gear, all in, got 2 NOS in-the-box.... boom! (dropped the mic) 8) :o :shock: :lol:

Wish we had seen you, Bernie!
Freddo
NAVED member #201

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Tue May 10, 2016 9:31 am

Popeye wrote:Looks like as long as Jerry is Kicking his Fins the "Porta-Sub" Works, I used one back in the Day and always thought They made a goos Door Stop.
Yeah, I have encountered more than one other diver who said his modern scooter works better than the Porta-Sub restoration... I don't think Jerry re-did it to necessarily have a great scooter... It was one of the first of such things, designed before divers discovered the short comings. For example, the handles point the prop wash directly into your chest which blocks forward thrust. We found that by changing the angle to point the prop wash past the length of your body, it has considerably more thrust.

Watching the Sea Hunt episodes where two divers are dragging along behind one Porta-Sub makes me wonder if they DID run a little more powerful when they were brand new. But POWER isn't what this particular Porta-Sub is all about. I believe it is very likely the only original Porta-Sub in the world that is still in good working condition. And,... I GOT TO DIVE IT... AT SILVER SPRINGS... - Thanks Jerry! :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Tue May 10, 2016 3:02 pm

:D :) 8) :roll: :twisted: :evil: :P :x

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Tue May 10, 2016 8:31 pm

The Porta Sub is all 100% cool. Anyone that doesn't see that just doesn't understand vintage diving.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Thu May 12, 2016 7:52 am

Cool video! I wouldn't care if the Porta Sub is under powered or the current was kickin'. It is just way cool to see an early scooter still functioning after 50+ years. The flare was way cool as well.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

8dust
Master Diver

Thu May 12, 2016 2:50 pm

1969ivan1 wrote:The Porta Sub is all 1005 cool. Anyone that doesn't see that just doesn't understand vintage diving.
+1
Freddo
NAVED member #201

oem3102
Diver
First Name: David

Fri May 13, 2016 8:40 am

1969ivan1 wrote:The Porta Sub is all 100% cool. Anyone that doesn't see that just doesn't understand vintage diving.
+ 1 more! As if diving the Sea Hunt event wasn't cool enough, getting the chance to take a lap around the spring with the Porta-Sub raised the bar even higher!

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”