Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Single Stage Repair by Captain Tom

Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:43 pm

Allen head screw for the adjustment wheel was frozen in the body and broken off with very few threads left showing. And what threads were showing were pretty screwed up and rounded off. Thanks to Tom, his torch and some WD-40 it will be back in the water soon!

From Tom
Here is how it works. The heat expands the metal and the air trapped in the threads. When the WD hits it it cools it and causes a reduced pressure in the threads which sucks in the WD. The auto ignition temperature of WD is about 480 F. As long as it won’t ignite when sprayed on with no flame present to ignite it the part is below 480. 480 won’t affect the metal or finish, I use this technique this on frozen valve bonnets and it doesn’t affect the Teflon washers or O rings in the valves.

[video]https://youtu.be/o8BQxuDaq4w[/video]
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Single Stage Repair by Captain Tom

Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:01 pm

Pretty awesome! Was that really WD 40 or was it PB Blaster? Hope you remembered to remove the old guide o-ring before applying the heat.

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:05 am

WD-40, the O ring was half gone before I started. Probably the hottest the body got was 400F, an O ring will survive that without charring but will need to be replaced.
Captain

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:09 pm

Thanks for the informative video Tom.

couv
Master Diver

Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:54 am

^^ Ditto ^^
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:25 am

Thanks Captain,

I will remember this technique. I've been REAL lucky with my Mistrals and Stream Airs when extracting the allen screw. I came very close to snapping an old one off in a Mistral that had HEAVY verdigris. I used WD40 on that one and let it set for 24 hours and was able to loosen it up enough to extract the set screw. I really like rebuilding Mistrals so your technique will definitely come to mind if I run into a similar situation.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”