Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Goodlifedivers
Master Diver
First Name: Danny

Royal aquamaster leaking

Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:36 pm

I've rebuilt my RAM from the ground up. Using mostly NOS parts and a service kit from VDH.

Put it all together and I can't get the reg to not violently free flow. The IP is off the charts too.

I bought two NOS seats. I tried both of them. Looking at the sealing surfaces doesn't seem there are any nicks or scratches.

I took the 1st stage apart and found that the backup washer actually snapped in two also.

What are your guys thoughts?

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Royal aquamaster leaking

Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:54 pm

Did you check the pin length?
If the seats were NOS....Original USD from the era there is a chance they are no good. The compound they were made from did not last long. If they are seats you just purchased from me they are reproductions and that can't be the issue.
Crown blocks that are scratched or have the O-ring and backup ring incorrect can be a problem as well. The white backup washer is a split ring with an angle cut to make it flat when pushed together.

From the balanced 2 stage seat info in the website store.

If you are installing this in a RAM or Trieste that has not previously used this seat you will need to purchase a new Conshelf pin and trim it to the correct length. The original RAM/Trieste pin is too short to work with the new seat. Conshelf pins are available in the store. I also recommend replacing the teflon backup washer(if your year has one) in the crown and the springs when replacing the high pressure seat.

http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/H ... ry=1964152
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Goodlifedivers
Master Diver

Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:08 pm

What is the correct pin length for an NOS HP royal. It's the same pin that was in the reg when I took it apart, but i guess that doesn't mean it's the right one.

The seat were from the scuba museum. NOS, not a reproduction.

When reassembling the 1st stage you put the washer then Oring on the HP stem correct?

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:15 pm

Goodlifedivers wrote:What is the correct pin length for an NOS HP royal. It's the same pin that was in the reg when I took it apart, but i guess that doesn't mean it's the right one.

Put the pin in the original seat and measure the overall length with a vernier caliper and then do the same with the new seat and pin. They should match. Sounds like something other than HP seat going on.

When reassembling the 1st stage you put the washer then Oring on the HP stem correct?

You insert the white backup washer in the crown block and then the O-ring on top of it. Make sure they are in place and held under the rim of the crown block.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Goodlifedivers
Master Diver

Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:32 pm

Good call, the old and NOS seat were very different. The pin barely fit into the NOS ones but was fine for the old HP seat.

It looks like the old seat is newer and made out of a different metal.

I'll post up some pictures tonight

Goodlifedivers
Master Diver

Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:44 pm

As per the manual the IP should be set at 100, but reading through the forum most guys go with a higher IP. Is it a preference or is the manual wrong?

captain
Plank Owner

Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:24 am

I run an IP of 135 on every regulator I own.
Captain

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:19 pm

Personal choice mainly, I run 135 on everything as well, just makes my life easier because I don't have to keep up with what reg is set to what and when I swap second stages they are all set up the same.
Herman

Goodlifedivers
Master Diver

Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Thank you all for the advice! Got the reg up and running. Seems to be breathing well... Next step the pool test!

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:56 am

Glad to hear it. Now on to the next one.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”