Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Drager Einstufig (Single stage) PA 61, 1961-1971

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:24 am

Just acquired a real minty Drager PA61. This should not be confused with the PA61-I or PA61-II both of which had a different mouth pieces and in the case of the PA61-II a two stage system. The PA 61 in the configuration I have has a US style reg yoke and hoses that are identical dimensionally to either Voit or USD hoses and the mouth piece is a dead ringer as well but has "Drager" on it rather than Voit or USD. Obviously this reg was dedicated to the US market (as most were DIN by 65 in Europe and were of the PA61-I configuration for that market) and geared for the hoses and diaphragms available to dive shops in the US making for easy parts interchangeability. By 1966 Drager attempted to challenge both USD, VOIT and Spriotechnique as a viable and "Higher" quality alternative to what was available here in the US. Known for quality, when marketed here, the company received good reviews but due to the price lost market share to the already well established (and cheaper by price) companies in the US and eventually focused on commercial and technical rigs. As a kid I remember divers saying if you wanted the very best you got a German Drager.
This one still has its factory lead inspection seal on it. The green hoses have definitely taken a set, but are in "diveable" condition. I wanted you all to see it before it gets rebuilt. I believe some of Robs green Voit hoses will fill the bill here as I do not desire to dive the originals, but probably will anyway. If anyone has every rebuilt one please feel free to fill me in on any peccadillos I might run into. I am sure it would be very similar to a Mistral in most respects.

Here's a Cool German Vintage Gear Website with English and French translation capability.

http://www.seveke.de/tauchen/technik/2komp-pa612.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

gj1963
Master Diver
First Name: Geoff

Re: Drager Einstufig (Single stage) PA 61, 1961-1971

Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:47 am

That's a neat regulator Russ. Thanks for sharing.
-Geoff

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:09 pm

Looks like it's in great shape.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bronze06
Master Diver

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:55 am

It is really cherry. Hooked it up to 3000psi and breaths but breaths slow and hard. Definitely hasn't seen service for 30 or more years. Should be fun. :D

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bronze06
Master Diver

Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:13 am

Evidently after reading up a bit more, what I have is the PA61 B, which was made for export.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”