Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
OldNSalty
First Name: Kevin

Intro and Questions

Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:54 am

Hey all,

Just got a pair of Jet Airs (My first double hose regulators) for cheap. I'm looking to restore one and dive with it. Cosmetically it looks good but dusty. Screws are all shinny, no visible wear on the mouth piece, even the decal is decent. The mouth piece feels fine but it has some crud from age, maybe a light brown discoloration. How should I clean this so as to not damage the rubber?

I will confess that I took some toothpaste and scrubbed around the mouth and then hooked it up and inhaled....I could draw air but not exhale...then I thought better of this because god only knows what's inside the hoses.

I downloaded the repair manual but the jetair is not in there as near as I can tell-did I miss it?

Thanks all,

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Intro and Questions

Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:46 am

Jet Air is basically a Mistral with a Stream Air venturi nozzle. Use the Mistral service procedures and you will be fine. Ask questions if you need to as you go along.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

OldNSalty

Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:59 pm

Thanks...I also found this on the site after I posted...I will try it, just didn't want to damage the rubber.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1900

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:11 pm

From the Care and Maintenance guide located on the main page of the website

Note: If Your Hoses And Mouthpiece Are Extremely Dirty There Is A Way To Tackle The Problem That I Have Found Is 99% Effective.
Get a couple of towels or cloths that you don’t mind getting bleach on. Put your hoses and mouthpieces in your washing machine and put it on the hot cycle. After the machine is full of water add a little detergent and a 1/4 cup of bleach and set the machine to pre-soak and then to run the longest cycle it has followed by 2 rinse cycles. The towels you put in with the hoses will keep them from flying all around the machine during the cycles. After you are done check for cleanliness and if they are good then hang them to dry. If the hoses and mouthpieces were so dirty you had to use this procedure I would say without a doubt you need to replace your mouthpiece valves and the duckbill. They are cheap and it’s good insurance!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

OldNSalty

Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:36 pm

As for taking the body apart, any special instructions for the screws? It might sound stupid but I didn't know if they needed to be torqued to a certain setting or something (I assume not)

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:55 pm

Welcome to the board (yea same Herman :) )
To be honest, odds are your hoses and mouthpiece really need to be swapped out. The yellow ones tend to degrade worse then the black ( I seem to recall them being yellow) and while you might get the mouthpiece cleaned up, I really don't like the straight ones, they are too big for my mouth and I find them uncomfortable.
The reg not exhaling is to be expected. The duckbill almost always either gets hard and welds itself together or turns to a sticky goo. In any case it will have to be replaced, a simple process and inexpensive ($5).

As for the screws, just snug them hand tight but go around several times, evenly tightening them as you go. Don't just crank one down then move to the next.
Herman

OldNSalty

Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:05 pm

Hey Herman! Thanks. I was just trying to spread my questions around so as to not be too ignorant in one place :) I opened one up tonight to take a look at what was inside...not much but yes, the rubber parts need to be replaced for sure. I guess I need to order some stuff as I can't wait to give it a try real soon.

Appreciate the help.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:30 am

DON'T hesitate the ask questions. There is a lot of expertise here and all are more than willing to help a new member get going. Take photos and let us know how you are progressing, we all find it interesting and kind fun to "relive" our first regs. I would suggest you do so research on diving with DH regs, while not hard, they do require a different technique and they do not work well with most modern BCs and if in doubt ASK!
While I am thinking about it, the Jet air is a single stage reg so it works best with lower pressure tanks- 2250 and below. They will work with 3k tanks but not as well. Also, many of them tend to squeal during inhale. esp at high tank pressures. While somewhat unnerving for the new diver, it is normal and fairly common.

And a warning well known to DH diver but always worth repeating DO NOT EVER breath off the supply horn directly or off a hose loop that does not have a working exhaust side attached. The venturi on these regs can be quite powerful and lung damage can occur if you are not very careful. I know it's tempting but don't try....I keep an old hose and mouthpiece for just such testing.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:36 am

Required Reading if you own a USD single stage regulator

Single Stage USD Double Hose

OldNSalty

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:38 am

I do not understand this part "DO NOT EVER breath off the supply horn directly".

I do have an old plastic backplate and some old 72s (unfortunately I replaced the J valves with modern ones) and there is a snorkeling reef just off the beach in about 11 feet of water that I plan on using as my first dive...it was either that or the Oriskany :D

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:54 am

OldNSalty wrote:I do not understand this part "DO NOT EVER breath off the supply horn directly".
The airflow directly out of the regulator is VERY POWERFUL and breathing directly from the regulator without a hose and mouthpiece as a buffer can be EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.....You could easily pop a lung...... When you are ready to test your rebuilt regulator, install one of the hoses on the intake horn, attach the mouthpiece with both wagon wheels and valves inserted correctly and then test the operation.
Configured in this way if the regulator goes into free flow it has the exhaust valve side of the mouthpiece to vent the MASSIVE amount of airflow. If you seal your lips around the outlet horn of a regulator and suck in there is NO OUTLET if it starts to freeflow and you could blow your lungs up to the point of rupture in milliseconds.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:18 pm

:mrgreen: Welcome to the Greatest Double Hose Forum on the planet OldnSalty,

Bryan did this about 7 years ago and it was what I used as a visual guide when I rebuilt my first "Mistral"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-sNvS702bw

As Herman and Bryan will tell you the internals for the Jet Air are identical to the Mistral. It's an easy rebuild. Have fun and again welcome.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

OldNSalty

Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:27 pm

Thanks-I'll probably order the parts tonight. I was thinking of documenting the rebuild. Need to get this done while it is still warm outside.

OldNSalty

Latest Find

Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:53 pm

I picked up some old double bands. 2 sets are on ScubaPro plastic packs. They are galvanized but have some surface rust and are probably for 72s. 2 other sets are stainless and were attached in pairs with webbing-slotted I think they are called. Those are about 7.25 in diameter. What is the tab on the side of the bands for? Clearly has a purpose but I don’t know it.
I may have also found another double hose. I was talking with a guy down the street, mentioned the stuff I just got, conversation went something like this….
Him->”So you like that old scuba stuff?”
me->sure.
Him->”Well I have one of those old 2 hose things. A D.A. Something or other and it’s hooked up to 2 old steel tanks.”
Me-> Really?
Him->”I would ebay it but I don’t want the hassle. Let me see if I can pull it out of the boat house and I’ll let you see if you’re interested”
Of course, he may never get around to it but it sounds like it could be a cool old find.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:40 pm

If its the tab I am thinking about, its a clip to hold the J valve pull rod.

Hopefully the guy has a set of 38's. :)
Herman

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”