Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Vintage Scuba Advertising

Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:50 am

I have a bunch of these I have grabbed randomly from the net and or were sent to me. Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Re: Vintage Scuba Advertising

Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:44 pm

Priceless! What a wonderful name for a wetsuit. Reminds me of other misnamed products, e.g.

And now we've met Skunk Suit couple Jan and Tom, here's Jim:
Looks like the garment targeted people with three-letter names. "Additional letters available" probably means that longer names must have cost more. :)

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:56 am

More wetsuits YELLOW RED GREEN
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:20 am

Talk underwater......

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:30 am

Bryan wrote:Talk underwater......

I like that... maybe I need to incorporate that feature into the new mouthpiece... just kidding.
:lol:
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:37 am

more

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:39 am

More

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:20 pm

Just a couple more.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:26 pm

Sea Hunt Voit Ad.jpg

Sea Hunt and Voit Forever!

Nemrod Babe 2.jpg
She might not have a double hose, but she does have a nice set.....of doubles I mean..........wow!!!

Snorkair.jpg
Spare Airs' Grandfather?
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

lakediver
Lung Diver
First Name: George

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:58 pm

The memory may be fuzzy, but I swear the Voit Sea Hunt fins marketed to kids are identical to my first pair of fins which I believe were Voit also with the 007 logo. There was a mask and a snorkel ( which also was a squirt gun!) which were very cheap.

dukenougat3d
Skin Diver
First Name: Jack

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:05 pm

Talk underwater......
It looks like they used a stock surplus gas mask voice diaphragm off a U.S. Navy Mk.III, Mk.IV or Navy Diaphragm Optical Mk.I Mask and stuck it on a mouthpiece - the size, shape, and positioning of holes looks dead on like it... There was plenty of ND Gas Mask Repair Kits kicking around postwar, I bet.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:39 pm

As I approach the 60th anniversary of my first dive (July, 1957... at age 11), I really enjoyed the postings of Vintage equipment advertisement.
BTW, Francie has been diving for 50 years this summer. Glad we are both still able to enjoy diving! :D

I hope to see more postings of vintage ads. Thanks guys!
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:10 pm

antique diver wrote:As I approach the 60th anniversary of my first dive (July, 1957... at age 11), I really enjoyed the postings of Vintage equipment advertisement.
BTW, Francie has been diving for 50 years this summer. Glad we are both still able to enjoy diving! :D

Bill, congrats on your big 60 years of diving anniversary (and to Francie's 50 years!) My first real dive was about May or June, 1967 (if you don't count wearing a mask and laying down in a tide pool at age 4 or 5) so I'm right there with Francie at 50 years of diving this summer. Shot my first halibut that summer and dove Port Royal, Jamaica with my Dad the next summer. Time Flys! Mark.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

gene8084
Diver
First Name: Gene

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:41 pm

Amazing, lot's of history here.

Only 40 years this summer. First dive, Lake Quonnipaug, Guilford, CT.
1800 PSI Scott Airpak with flat steel backpack and a U.S. Divers Aquarius Reg.

Best dive of my life.

Sorry, no DH.

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:10 am

antique diver wrote:As I approach the 60th anniversary of my first dive (July, 1957... at age 11), I really enjoyed the postings of Vintage equipment advertisement.

Vintage ads are rich sources when researching and chronicling diving equipment. Not only is their content valuable but the fact that they appear in a dated publication means that it is possible to chart when items of gear were launched, or at least available, if there is no manufacturer's catalogue to hand. One of my goals in retirement is to document early post-war British diving equipment manufacturing. I've started with series of ads in 1950s issues of the British Sub-Aqua Club magazines Neptune and Triton and my intention is to reconstruct a product list for each company using the ads as my source.

Here is one example. Milbro is an old British brand mainly known for the production of airguns and fishing tackle. Millard Brothers, who owned the brand, also made basic spearfishing gear for a while during the 1950s, advertising their products in Triton. These are the ads I started with:
and this is what I ended up with, after researching the company's history online, an 8-page "reconstruction" of the Milbro underwater equipment catalogue in PDF format:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw7z_4 ... VuS0E/view
I've done similar reconstructions for Featherwate and Shark Brand, which are other early British manufacturers. Having done so for these minor producers, I plan to reconstruct something similar for the Dunlop Aquafort range of underwater equipment, which was marketed from the mid 1950s to the early 1960s. In none of these cases did I have a catalogue to work from, just ads. It's doubtful that I would ever find catalogues for these companies on eBay or elsewhere because UK vintage diving catalogues are very rare.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”