Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Re: Vintage Scuba Advertising

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:06 am

Why I wanted to dive way back when, was because of Johnny Quest and all the cool toys they had. And if you think about it, this was vintage advertising in a way. Clutch Cargo also had cool stuff.
Vintage Cartoons.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:37 am

Bronze06 wrote:
Why I wanted to dive way back when, was because of Johnny Quest and all the cool toys they had. And if you think about it, this was vintage advertising in a way. Clutch Cargo also had cool stuff.
Vintage Cartoons.jpg
Johnny Quest was my go-to cartoon! Always thought my dad looked like Race Bannon. That show only ran 1 season (64/65) and 26 episodes. Must have seen each episode 50 times over the years in reruns. I hadn't been scuba diving yet when it first ran, but my dad used to put me on an inflatable surf mat (green and yellow) with a mask on and a rope tied to the mat and tow me around while he was grabbing lobster in 15 feet of water. When I saw Johnny and Hadji were scuba diving I begged my dad to take me scuba diving and told him I wanted my regulator hoses to be yellow just like both Johnny and my dad had. Alas, I had to wait a few more years but that show was my all-time favorite cartoon!

P.S. I put Jessica Rabbit in another catagory.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bronze06
Master Diver

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:48 am

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:37 am
Bronze06 wrote:
Vintage Cartoons.jpg
Johnny Quest was my go-to cartoon! Always thought my dad looked like Race Bannon. That show only ran 1 season (64/65) and 26 episodes. Must have seen each episode 50 times over the years in reruns. I hadn't been scuba diving yet when it first ran, but my dad used to put me on an inflatable surf mat (green and yellow) with a mask on and a rope tied to the mat and tow me around while he was grabbing lobster in 15 feet of water. When I saw Johnny and Hadji were scuba diving I begged my dad to take me scuba diving and told him I wanted my regulator hoses to be yellow just like both Johnny and my dad had. Alas, I had to wait a few more years but that show was my all-time favorite cartoon!

P.S. I put Jessica Rabbit in another catagory.
Amen!!!! And Clutch has a 59 Miistral judging by the hose/mouthpiece colors......lol.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:34 am

I somehow doubt TSA would approve.
20180724_002818.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bronze06
Master Diver

Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:39 am

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:34 am
I somehow doubt TSA would approve.

20180724_002818.jpg
So much for the "No Fly" rule after diving.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bronze06
Master Diver

Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:54 am

Nice tank pack!

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:03 pm

Beauty Bait in a Sea of hungry men and monsters!

20060118_fg1.jpg

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:04 pm

Thank you for sharing these with us. It is great to look back and see how far we have come and at the same time stayed in place.

Bronze06
Master Diver

Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:47 pm

Sophie Fromentin posted this on on Vintage Diving in Turkey. Check out the rig!!!

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:34 pm

Not precisely politically correct today. Besides, a girl in a bikini somewhere in the ad would have been nice. :D

P.S. Would you really want these guys as your dive buddies? :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:00 pm

Another good justification for solo diving! :roll:
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”