Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
captain
Plank Owner

Barely vintage mask

Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:50 am

Figure this one out. I can,t believe someone would want this mask that much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1
Captain

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:04 am

Ebay is weird that way?????? I hardly believe that it is even military surplus like the seller claims. It is worth 20 or 30 bucks imo. Nothing is better than a DM30 also imo.....

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:11 am

They still have a huge stockpile of those masks. Every once in a while you will go to a dock/marina/small store etc and see those masks on the shelf. Bass Pro sold them for most of the 90's until the really colorful stuff that James likes so much took over..
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:31 am

And if you look closely at the description, it says "The rubber skirt is still soft and pliable and has the words "U.S. DIVERS CO." on one side of the top and "EQUI-PURGE" on the other side. Unfortunately, this mask is not an "Equi-purse'. It is an Equirama. Oh well, you and I both know that the US Treasury Department is printing money as we speak. If you don't have and nor I, somebody has to have it. Spend away.

scubanut

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:34 am

:D Now I don't feel so bad spending alot on the royal reg I just bought, knowing someone spent that much on a mask

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:09 am

Wait until you see my new Neon Pink triples! Y'all won't be laughing then! I hear that Gomez will be colorfully festooned with D rings as well and will be setting off underwater firecrackers so as those maurading manatees will not have a chance to ambush us again. Of course, the other result could be my being banned from the entire state of Florida. Let's see, child molesters-welcome, trailer trash that help a child molester - welcome, get within some not exactly specified distance of a stupid manatee and all hell breaks loose. Y'all think maybe that place is just got their priorities a little bit skewed?

oldmossback

Barely vintage mask

Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:46 pm

Don't ever get crippled with the bends and become bed ridden, they'll order you off the tube, starved and intentionaly dehydrated till your dead.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:52 am

What does that have to do with the mask discussion?
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:41 pm

I can see how someone would pay that much, I would not but maybe they once owned one and want another. It is hard to guage peoples response to stuff like this. It is a fact however that we are in a sport/pastime, vintage diving, that has at it's disposal a limited and declining pool of resources. The second problem is that there are so few of us that there really is no market to attract the larger companies into marketing new vintage style products. Therefore, when a fellow sees something on ebay they want then sometimes unexpected things can happen if another person thinks they want the same item. Nope, I am not the guy that bought that mask. I think that blue Healthways mask I bought past spring, complete with vintage box, was about 35.00 off ebay. Limited supplies equals high cost. Heck, I sold a set of mint Voit fins for over a hindred dollars that used to run about 10 dollars in the day. You know, Voit made some really cool masks and fins. I could see me spending 100 dollars on a mint w/box oval blue Voit mask with equalizer pockets--don't tell my wife. James

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:44 pm

Ask Sea Hunt Jerry, I bet he has a pallat of Voit masks in his basement!

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

voit mask

Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:38 pm

hi Bryan,
Your right I do Have the EXTREMELY rare Voit b4 mask as used in seahunt,and many others.
Look for me at Wayzee
Mooooo :? :) :wink:

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”