Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
kombiguy
Diver
First Name: Chris

New (to me) regulator

Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:21 pm

Well, I took the plunge. I am the proud owner of an Aqua-lung DA "Aquamaster". Warner ave. label, with a serial number. I believe it'll need new hoses, but other than that, I'm not sure yet. Man, I can hardly wait to get this up and running!

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: New (to me) regulator

Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:39 pm

At least half the fun is going through it and getting it ready to dive. Don't rush it, get to know what makes it tick and put it together right. Happy Diving!
The older I get the better I was.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:15 pm

antique diver wrote:At least half the fun is going through it and getting it ready to dive. Don't rush it, get to know what makes it tick and put it together right. Happy Diving!
Solid Advice :!:
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:38 pm

antique diver wrote:At least half the fun is going through it and getting it ready to dive. Don't rush it, get to know what makes it tick and put it together right. Happy Diving!
I'll third that. The manual for it is easily downloadable from this site, not to mention any part you could possibly want is also available here!

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:30 pm

Welcome to the board and congrads on your new reg.

Half the fun of owning a DH is restoring it to operation. Without seeing it I can't tell you everything you need but having restored a number of them I can make a pretty good guess. Besides hoses, you will need the following for sure:

duckbill or duckbill elimnator (aka DBE)
mouthpiece valves
rebuild kit

Odds are pretty good you will also need a main diaphragm and mouthpiece. If the hoses are bad, usually the MP is not really good enough to dive. While you might be able to salvage them, you are much better off replacing them. I don't restore a reg without replacing them unless I want/need to keep it as original as possible for some reason....which I never do for a reg I intend to dive.

Things you may need:
High pressure seat, filter and hose clamps. These parts may or may not be usable, they depend on how well the reg was maintained and stored.

On the "nice to have" list are a band clamp (a must have IMO), HPR (upgraded second stage) and DBE. From there you can go wild with a Phoenix or Cyclone first stage. You may also want to consider a long yoke (if you don't already have one) and a banjo. Banjos are used to add a SPG to the reg and a good idea, esp if you do not have a working J valve on a tank.

While ordering parts I would also suggest you get the hookah port adapter. You will need it to check/set the IP when you service the reg plus you can use it to attach an octo or LP inflator hose if you choose.

Then there are tools. Bryan has all the parts you may need but I make and sell the special tools to service the reg. You can work around them but they do make life easier. Drop me a PM with your email address or check out the download section of the board for my tool catalog. I would suggest you do some searching on the board on removing and installing the C clips

And finally, do a search on diving with a DH reg. They are not difficult to dive but do require proper positioning and BC to get the best out of them plus other are other techniques like hose clearing that you need to learn.
Herman

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”