Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
fishb0y
Lung Diver

Sat May 06, 2006 1:25 pm

pearldiver wrote:Well, between my radio active watch and that cold guard. I'm in awful shape here aren't I?? :shock:
Watching my kids play, I wonder how I made it as long as I have! They have their helmets and knee pads, I had skinned knees and concussions.

Funny thing about "radioactive watches", when I was stationed on a nuclear submarine we stopped in Hong Kong. About a week after we left, all the cheap "glow in the dark dials" on the watches people bought started to set off our radiation detectors.

Cold Guard composition

Sun May 07, 2006 9:56 am

The composition of Cold guard was as follows:

1) Cocco butter
Make the user smell great!

2) Silicone
Make the Cold guard easy to apply

3) Asbestos
Insures that the user will have Cancer

4) A few other unidenified items.

Thats all folks!

Cold Guard--final

Sun May 07, 2006 1:42 pm

OOOPS!

Gayle,

One other factor..

According to the label -- Cold Guard is NOT SOLUABLE IN WATER!

You may still be wearing Cold Guard!

pearldiver
Vintage Diver

Mon May 08, 2006 3:07 pm

:oops:
And I was crazy enough to beleive it worked! 8)

seahunter
Skin Diver

Re: Cold Guard

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:48 am

I was sorting through my boxes again and came across that jar of Cold Guard.

I recall well that my dear friend Sam Miller of Pismo gave me this jar several years ago on my annual trip to CA.
I enjoy sitting down with Sam and rummaging through his boxes of old scuba stuff too.
You never know what you'll find but it's guaranteed to be odd like this stuff.

Attached are some images so you can read all abut it yourself and decide if you would smear this stuff on your lips (Rub In Well) or all over the inside of your wetsuit. Yep! It's cocoa butter, silicon and ....... asbestos.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:36 pm

Was it right beside your Spectramar barus? Spelling???
Been a long time. ..great post Alec

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:16 pm

I remember that stuff. Nothing like a little Asbestos insulation to keep the cheeks comfy and warm in icy water! :roll:
The older I get the better I was.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:45 pm

Just wait for the ice cream headache to pass. You won't need it. LOL

Jim

seahunter
Skin Diver

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:15 am

Haven't spotted my old Spectramar yet.
I think mine is the Special Issue with the external Double-Back fitting on the side. I'll let you know when it turns up.

However, I did find 3 complete Scott Hydro Pacs, a perfect Aquamatic Deluxe with built-in snorkel, a perfect Air-Mite and a couple of Jack Brown masks.

I haven't seen my Demone Bent Back tank valve for years nor my Sportsways J-Valve converter. I recall having that at Portage one year when Sam Lecocq was there and he laughed about it. Said he made it as a joke and never though anyone would buy one.
I'd forgotten that J.C. Higgins had a regulator and Kawasaki too.
I also found another couple of the old USAF Cornelius compressors just waiting for someone to convert to scuba use.
Plus, ready for this, a USAF oxygen diluter demand valve. I think you know that I have several home made scuba units using these old war surplus valves - and the plans as well.
And a box of Rose Pro regulators, dozens of knives, gauges, early computers (3 Bendomatics) .......

Next week I'll start on my boxes of 2 hose regs.

The reason I have listed a lot of this stuff here is that I'm getting it organized to sell so if you're looking for a favorite item, something your collection is missing or something from your own scuba beginnings, I probably have it. Email me.
Maybe you have some Sea Hunt stuff to trade??

Pssst! Don't tell Karl or Rob about this stuff!!

kgehring
Master Diver

Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:21 pm

DSCN8694.jpg
I think the Demone valve went it the box with the Rose Pro regulators.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:01 am

The Army and the Navy both had a Cold Guard type of cream that came in an off white or light green container that looked like a Kiwi shoe polish can for use in artic conditions. The stuff looked identical to the off white/greenish stuff in the above pictures. I had acquired a can of this crap (marked 1967) when I was a private in Germany and my platoon sergeant said not to use the stuff (Thanks SFC Tom). When I first came in the Army in 1985 this crap was still popping up in supply rooms and could also be found in numerous surplus stores. Mysteriously, the stuff disappeared within a few months of my coming in and an Army wide message said that it was ineffectual and remaining stocks should be turned in and disposed of as HAZMAT. I am glad I never used the shit. :shock:
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:46 am

Alec,

While we're at it, here is a blast from the past (specifically inside your frogman suit). As I can make it out on the bottle: EZE-IN wetsuit powder by Aqua-craft, "finest quality accessories for serious skin divers", san diego, California, 99103?, (where skin diving began) net weight 6 ounces .69 cents"
Bottle came with a couple of DAAMs that had yellow hoses and black mouth pieces, which along with serial numbers (210987, 211102) places them in the late 59 to mid 1960 zone. They didn't look like much on e-bay but they actually are in pretty good shape just stained from being neglected in a garage somewhere and will clean up quite nicely. Did you use this expensive stuff or just good old talcum powder?

PS, Love your YouTube Scuba2000 videos!

PSS, I thought Skin Diving began in France LOL!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”