Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Vulcan Knife Sheath repro

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:47 pm

Vulcan Sheaths seem to be as rare as jellyfish teeth, so I had to fabricate something to make my knife useful. It took way too much time, and not really identical to the original, but at least I can go diving with it.

I am grateful to Dale for providing some measurements from his original sheath to help me get started. This one is about 1/8" wider than the original to allow a stronger assembly, but the length is pretty close.
The older I get the better I was.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Re: Vulcan Knife Sheath repro

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:55 am

Wow! That was DIY? Looks fabulous!

antique diver
Master Diver

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:08 am

Thank you Ed.
I started with an assortment of PVC sheet material to experiment with.

It was easy to mill a cavity in two pieces (shaped roughly the size of the sheath) for the blade and spring plate, but a router would work too.
The two halves were later joined with seven #4 SS screws, then the final shaping was done on a band saw and router table. Hand finished with wet sanding, using 2000 grit as the final grade, then plastic polish to spiff it up.

I was originally planning to just bond the halves with PVC cement, but wanted to be able to open up for improvements or modifications on this prototype.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:30 pm

- Wow. That looks better than pictures I've seen of the original. Thanks for showing your method... I've been wondering if I could make an authentic looking diving sheath for one of the new production KABAR knives. Your approach looks like it would work.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Great job Bill.....Projects like this are perfect for keeping idle hands busy during the winter.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

gj1963
Master Diver
First Name: Geoff

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:14 pm

Nice work!
-Geoff

antique diver
Master Diver

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:42 pm

Thanks guys... it was an enjoyable project. I remember wanting a Vulcan since I was a kid and they were still being sold new. I guess I will have to take it diving this weekend.

SurfLung, I had a surplus Kabar that came with my first Scuba rig that I bought used, and dove with it for years... sure wish I had kept it. If you want more details on the construction to apply to your Kabar just contact me.

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:38 am

Hi Bill, just saw this. That looks great! Did you fashion that hilt guard too?
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

antique diver
Master Diver

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:56 pm

Thanks Dale. It probably looks better in the photo than upon close examination, and it was a little simpler than it looks. Also, I left off the top plate that the original has because I was tired of working on the darned thing, and ready to go diving. One day I will get around to figuring out how to make the top plate... maybe I'll quit procrastinating next Monday.

Used a 3/4" strip of Stainless sheet wrapped around the sheath assembly and secured with screws through the back side. It was shaped with a little extra material on the sides that were then crimped with end cutter to tighten the strip securely down on the sheath.

The screw that is seen holds the SS spring strip that extends about 2.5" into the sheath. (It was originally the belt clip on an old Ikelite c-lite) This exerts pressure on the side of the knife blade to hold the knife securely in place. I left it where I could easily remove it to adjust tension by bending as needed to fine tune the holding power. Works great.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:15 pm

NIce work there Bill.

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:02 pm

So I found a vulcan at the gun show. The only thing really wrong is the sheath is cracked and held together with black tape. I cant see any of the photos on this thread, but I'm wondering how the sheath comes out if I decide to try gluing it together. It appears to come loose by straightening out the holding tabs. Also, was it a poor desition for $60? Only one on the internet for sale is an ebay add for a trashed one at $155.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

antique diver
Master Diver

Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:23 pm

In my opinion it's worth what you paid. Tape it up and go diving!

Those missing photos from 2013 were on PhotoBucket. If I can find my originals I'll post them again.

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:25 pm

Ill have to where this one when Im diving my Voit 50.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”