Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Swimaster Mask questions

Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:59 am

Just picked up this Swimaster Wideview mask the other day and thought I'd share a few photos and ask for some direction.
1. Can anyone link me to a catalog or date for this mask?
2. This is the first neoprene mask seal I've seen. Is it deformed with age, altered or did they look like that and is there a link or guide for resealing one? I have an old hood that has volunteered to lend some skin for the project.
At first I thought the mask strap was broken but on closer examination I saw it was an older two piece version (though the rubber is in excellent condition. Note the slots in the lens retainer clamp and the thickened ends to stop it pulling through. Nice clamp nut/bolts too.
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Swimaster Mask questions

Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:23 am

From the website homepage. Manuals & Catalogs tab

Voit Catalogs
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

DaleC
Master Diver

Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:52 am

I learn something new every day. Thanks Bryan!
NAVED #203

8dust
Master Diver

Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:52 am

Dale,
I've got one just like it. Best mask I ever had.
Yours looks like it's in great shape.
I wouldn't start cutting on it.
The "skirt" on mine was as stiff as a block of wood when I got it and I was sure it was going to live on a shelf and just look cool untill I was turned on to 303 Aerospace treatment. Near as I can tell, it's basically super Armorall. Everything you read says that once rubber has had it, there's no bringing back it's rubberyness, but after working in several repeated treatments mine feels almost new and seals great.

Additionally, not sure about the shape of your face, mine's pretty wide, but the mask was SO wide it was barely hitting the corners of my eyes and wouldn't fit tight there. I actually keep mine in a little soft-side mask box that pushes the outside corners in a bit and ends up looking like yours is now.

One of my straps was shot and because of those special moulded ends I figured my only alternative was a one-piece with slides on either side. It looked dumb and didn't work great, so I came up with a new two-piece strap of very simple design that I cut out of roofing rubber (EPDM?). I started a thread about it with some measurements and photos, but I can't seem to find it and if I could, I don't know how to link it here.

Maybe one of the MODS could help with that, hint hint.

edit.... found it, but not sure this URL is the correct way to link back to something??? http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/ ... f=4&t=4746

Congratulations on the purchase. It works great, and is the most bad-ass looking of all masks 8)
You'll love it, and if you don't I'll be more than happy to buy it for a spare :mrgreen:
Fred
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:57 am

Here you go 8dust... :D

8 Dust's old thread: Nice Replacement Straps for Swimaster Wide View Mask

Great thread and great photos in that one...

8dust
Master Diver

Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:09 am

Thanks Ed.

What the heck time is it in Manilla? Nobody else should be up this late thinking about SCUBA... I'm to tired to process it at this point, but maybe it's still yesterday there, or maybe you're well into tomorrow... :?

Time to grab one more Port for the walk to the other end of the house, and hit the rack!
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:56 am

Well into tomorrow :D About 12 hours ahead of you guys. Its now Sunday afternoon. Question is: What are YOU doing up so late? :D

I wish there was an equivalent to that 303 stuff here though. Looks like the bee's knees!

Also just realized that you're using the mask in your avatar. Really is a cool looking mask.

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:01 am

You guys are genius with DIY solutions to vintage problems. 99% of the "modern" diving community would have tossed that mask in the dumpster without knowing it's full potential.

Like "This Old House" for dive gear...."This Old Mask" "This Old Reg" etc.

Nice grab Dale, and nice fix 8dust!
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

DaleC
Master Diver

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:01 pm

or "These old guys (and gals)".

Thanks for all the reponses. I'm kinda busy with home stuff right now (wife is shooting me the evil eye) but will process it all in the next day or two.
Dale.
NAVED #203

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:53 am

The Wide View mask goes way back. It was developed (along with Duck Feet by the Spearfisherman company in the early '50s. Swimaster bought them out in '55, and then Voit bought Swimaster out around '62.
Then Mares ended up with everything and killed the product line (except for MR12s). A damn shame too. IMO the Wide View wasd the finest dive mask ever made..
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

Phil
Vintage Diver

Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:03 pm

Hullo, Capn Tucker
The wide view was indeed designed by Art Browne at the Sperafisherman, but that face had a thick hard-rubber seal against the face - - you could see the outline of the mask on your face for at least an hour after diving! The Rubatex foam-neoprene seal was developed after Pacific Molded Products (Swimaster) took over. They had hired Dick Bonin as head honcho and that was an excellent business decision on their part! Dick was an avid and skilled free-diving spearfisherman as well as being an astute business type.
I can tell you exactly when this particular mask came out: I went down to Los Angeles to finalize a deal with USD for a dealership and stopped in to see Bonin on the way back to Vancouver. Myself and my two partners had moved and expanded my original small dive shop 'Vancouver Divers Supply' and wanted to also become dealer/reps for PMP - Dick had the new wide-view mask on his desk and said it was one of the first ones off the line that week.
He very generously gave it to me. That was in late June or early July of 1958.
Talk about trivia!

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:20 pm

Thanks for the inside info Phil. It is posts like yours that make me love this forum.

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:17 pm

Wow, thank for the info Phil! I had always assumed Art Browne had invented the neoprene face seal as well. So Pacific was responsible for that innovation. Pretty neat. That is just too cool that Dick Bonin gave you one of the first masks they made.
I've got a '50s Wide View too, but mine is fossilized. Still a nice shelf display I guess..
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:01 pm

Phil, Thank you! Your posts are always very informative. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

DaleC
Master Diver

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:35 pm

Thanks for the history Phil. As luck would have it I also have a pair of original Spearfisherman (Huntington beach) duckfeet :D

I keep collecting all these masks with no nose pockets but I still suck at clearing my ears the old way. I've really got to practice.
NAVED #203

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”