Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Phil
Vintage Diver

Re: Swimaster Mask questions

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:01 pm

Hey, Dale!
That's what the little delta-shaped foam neoprene pad under your schnozz is for on the PMP wide view. Just wrap your thumb and forefinger around the exhaust valve housing and push straight up - does a great job of blocking both nostrils for a valsalva. Any-one who used one of the original wide-view masks with the hard-rubber seal knows how easily they leaked - since the hard edge wouldn't flex to follow a grin, grimace, or a beautific smile if you just spotted a big yellowtail in range! So that's why the big exhaust valve - any water in and even a slight snort would clear it! When the soft wet-suit material seal came on the scene, the honking big exhaust valve wasn't really neccesary any more - cuz the mask sealed well (not like a Squale, of course, but pretty darn good)but everybody liked it - the molds were paid for - so, if it aint broke . .etc.
I was a real fan of Art B. Everything he made worked very well - just as you expected it should - from seamless front-entry shorties to Duck feet. He should be canonized for Duck feet alone! I still use them. Even his snorkels with the weird little mouthpiece - like a baby pacifier - worked well, just looked a little strange.

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:17 pm

Dad burn it Phil, You're my hero! I just ran down and tried the mask and it does have a neoprene patch under the nostril that I can push my "shnozz" into to clear. I wouldn't have even thought to try it as most pocketless masks just have hard rubber there.

A test dive is in order!

Btw, I dropped by your shop a couple of weeks ago as I was passing through but you were not there. I did however, sneak a peek at the Aquarius. I also looked through the dusty front window and laughed at the STACK of old tanks. My kind of office! Next time I'm heading through I'll try to email first.
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:47 pm

I've got several Wide Views, but none of them have the neoprene nose patch. The box one came in had a card with instructions for gluing in the optional nose patch. Sadly the patch was not there.
I've found that if I cover the purge valve with the palm of my hand and exhale forcefully, I can sometimes clear my ears. Otherwise I have to put my fingers through the mask seal and pinch my nose. The giant purge valve then comes in very handy to clear the mask..
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

Phil
Vintage Diver

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:23 am

Hi, Dale!
"Stack of old tanks" . . .you were at the wrong shop - 325 East Esplanade! That's what we now call the 'old shop': 6,000 square feet of old junk like subs,suits, UDT gear, a ton of U/W cameras,US, French and English rebreathers, diving helmets, Spaco regs (G),CG 45's, Commeinhes sets, all sorts of 1940's French gear, and on and on. I do still work there sometimes, when I want to escape the phone-calls and paperwork. Nuytco Research and Can-Dive and DIVER magazine and Hard Suits Inc., are now down the street at our new building located at 216 East Esplanade.
Please do call ahead if you want to come by and I'll be glad to give the two bit tour - off to Ireland next week to have our crew cut into the Lusitania (for Discovery channel) using the Newtsuit ADS and filming it from a Dual DeepWorker and a single DeepWorker. Back on the 9th of August, so anytime after that until early September - then another round of traveling.
Perservere . . It's worth a peek!
Regards
Your fellow Canuck

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:43 am

Thanks Phil, will do.
And if you ever need a mini sub driver... just sayin :)
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

Possum
First Name: Richard

Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:36 am

Hello,

I am new to this board, which I found while Googling "Swimaster Mask". I had one of these masks in the early '60s and it was far-and-away the most comfortable mask I ever used. As a youth, I was a very active diver in East Tennessee and always spent more money than I should have on equipment. The money I spent on that mask was worth every cent! The neoprene skirt fit perfectly without being tight. I could have it on for hours without the ugly. red mark left by other masks. The glass set close to the eyes, limiting it's volume and the purge valve in the pig-nose worked perfectly. When I and most of my diving buddies got married or moved away, I stopped diving. I found the mask about ten years ago and gave it, along with a beautiful Sportsways regulator (the first with a built-in K-valve) to a local dive shop for display purposes.

I have been tempted to get into diving again, but haven't been willing to spend the money on a new set of equipment, nor take a course to become certified. My initial training was through the Knoxville, TN YMCA, under instructors who were not certified, due to a lack of a certifying agency in those benighted days. Through our local diving club, "The Knoxville Aqua Billies," (a play on hill billies) we introduced many local people to skin and scuba diving and promoted the sport at boat shows and other venues.

As an old fart now, I am somewhat bewildered as I look for mask,fins and snorkel, to use in the beautiful Florida springs where we often camp in winter. Most of the brands I used are gone or apparently are no longer widely available. I must admit it is fun to investigate once more this sport on which I spent so many hours as a young man.

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:17 pm

Welcome to the forum, Possum! Here's the Wide View Mask page in the 1962 Swimaster catalogue:
I have to admit that I'm getting on too, but I do try to go for snorkel in the North Sea with my vintage-style fins, mask and suit when the weather gets a bit warmer. At other times I enjoy researching the history of basic underwater swimming gear, particularly the products created on my side of the Atlantic (Europe). I'm studying Russian diving equipment at the moment.

Hope you enjoy your time here. Share your experiences and I'm sure you'll find us a friendly and knowledgeable bunch of folks!

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”