Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: My DAAM Green Sea Hunt Tribute

Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:37 am

- I got that 50/50 Vinegar/Water idea looking thru cleanup methods on the VDH forum that had been discussed in the past. Some guys say stay away from it as it is an acid and eats perhaps more than just the corrosion. I was in a hurry and just scrubbed everything (including the outside of the cans) in it with a tooth brush. It works faster than you think so be careful. I didn't see any bubbles or anything to indicate it was working. I'd recommend not soaking everything at once. Clean one part at a time and as soon as you see its clean, get it out of there and rinse off the 50/50. Exposed brass turns reddish brown in this stuff and looks like rust. It isn't rust.
- Before you do the 50/50 you might try Salt-X... A cleaning solution I found on VDH. A lot of what looked bad on my Green DAAM was salt scum (I think). If I had it to do again, I think I'd try this stuff first.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

scubasteve59
Master Diver
First Name: Steve

Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:49 am

Many thanks! I just sent off a money order for "sight unseen" aqualung doublehose from an old timer (original owner) who sold off his gear so I am prepping up reading all the info I can. I plan to photo document the process from unpacking the box through restoration. No plans for the phoenix at this stage; maybe later. I have no idea what model, etc the reg is but he said late sixties so I assume an aqua master. For $50 bucks including shipping I can't go wrong....

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:50 am

Another cleaning tip to keep in mind. Often the duck bills will turn to a mix of black good and chrispy chunks bonded to the cans. The easiest way I have found to clean this mess off is to soak the can in denatured alcohol. It does not smell too bad and after an overnight soak, it goo and chunks disolves into the alcohol. Just rub with a rag and rince.

As for the $50 reg if it's from the late 60s it could be a DA or a RAM or a Mistral, any of which are worth the $50 and easy to restore.
Herman

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:53 am

You might also want to search for the threads on clip removal. They are a pain to remove without the correct tools and you stand a chance of scratching the cans more if you don't get the correct tools.
Herman

SurfLung
Master Diver

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:50 am

Green DAAM Update
- I seem to be having the same problem with this regulator that Vintage Diver has been describing in his "Completely Baffled - No Air 2nd Stage" post. The original shallow water test dive was with a lower pressure, half empty tank and it worked fine. The 2nd time I tried to use it I put it on a 3000 psi tank and it locked up... No air.
- When I opened it up, I already had corrosion on the parts I had cleaned and left bare. So, I thought corrosion was the problem and sent the parts off to be plated. But when I re-assembled with the newly plated parts, I had the same problem... Seems exactly the same as Vintage Diver.
- I'm okay with cleanup, assembly, and even adjustment of these regulators when everything is working right and I have manuals and diagrams. But I'm an amateur with no experience when it comes to finding and repairing a problem. I'm going to get some professional help.
SurfLung

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:24 pm

Just as a quick check to rule out parts, if you still have your other nozzle from your PRAM, try swapping that out to determine if its the 1st or 2nd.

Since that was a DIY kit, it had all new parts as well, just like mine, so this one's a bit of a head scratcher again.

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:08 pm

"So this one's a bit of a head scratcher again" - YES IT IS! I received a PM from Surflung earlier today in regards to this problem and sent him back a reply. I let him know that I am currently waiting for the arrival of a new IP adjustment spring; believing that this part is possibly the problem. As soon as I receive this part and determine whether or not it is in fact the problem or not I'll post what I find on this thread. If this part is not the problem; then as I told Surflung - :?: :?: Hopefully I'll get this resolved soon. Terry
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

Drado
Master Diver

Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:01 am

Hey Eben, did you get to let others see your green DAAM at Portage, and were you able to diagnose and remedy the problem?

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:49 am

Portage has not yet happened Drado.

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:35 am

1969ivan1 wrote:Portage has not yet happened Drado.
SO; what your're saying is; is that Eben and The Green DAAM will be making an appearance at Portage. :P :lol: Terry
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

Drado
Master Diver

Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:58 pm

Ooops! Sorry, I meant Wazee :D

SurfLung
Master Diver

Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:07 pm

- The Green DAAM is not back from repairs but I did get to show off my Mistral Sea Hunt tribute at the Wazee Vintage get together. Also debuted my "Streamlined Phoenix" rig... Which is a work in progress and not finished yet. But, what I have is the 18 lb Oxycheq back BC with a custom made "Vintage Style" harness. The yellow OxyCheq signature coordinates well with the new yellow hoses on my Phoenix.
- This is not on topic, however. I'll post a report when I get the Green DAAM back and it is working properly. Portage may not happen for me this year.
SurfLung

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:26 pm

Drado wrote:Ooops! Sorry, I meant Wazee :D
No worries. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

SurfLung
Master Diver

Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:37 pm

The Green DAAM is Back and Breathing Easy at 3000 psi!
- My Green DA AquaMaster came back from repairs and it is working perfectly. The technician's report said he couldn't find anything obvious that was wrong with it. He took it all apart, re-assembled it, set the IP, and it works fine. I wish I had something definite to say as to what caused the problem.
- Before I sent it in, the air in the first stage nozzle was locking up when attached to a high pressure (3000 psi) tank. I read through and tried everything in the VintageDiver conversation and it still locked up. The one test where you attach just the nozzle to the tank and press on the mushroom is one thing I did and thought it released kind of hard. So, I swapped out the new nozzle spring and put in the original nozzle spring. The mushroom press test seemed to release smoother. And sure enough, when I reassembled the nozzle into the regulator and tried it with 3000 psi, it released air into the second stage. So maybe, I had this thing licked?
- Anyway, I hooked up the IP gauge and the pressure seemed erratic. I think I wasn't sure of the first solution and wasn't experienced with how the IP should be adjusted either. So, I gave up and sent it in for repairs. Since the technician couldn't find anything wrong, I may have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory!
- I told the technician about swapping the nozzle springs. He didn't think that would have caused it. He figured I had probably assembled something in a way that it was binding or sticking. He thought I might have got the mushroom pin assembled off center and it could work at low pressure but just dug into the edge of the seal at high pressure. That makes sense and is most likely what I did to cause the problem.

- The good news is that the Green DAAM is now working perfectly.
SurfLung

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:04 pm

Good news Surf, thanks for the update....

I like to think of this DA as "The Green Lantern".
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”