Classic Vintage Diving

Capillary Depth Gauge Repair

Dedicated to the discussion of vintage diving methods and equipment available prior to 1970. This forum section is limited to the diving without modern BCDs or use of an Octopus.

Moderators: captain, simonbeans

Forum rules
“Note: If you are new and have a question, please start by using the search function. You will probably find that your question has been answered. A lot of vintage subject has been discussed many times, there is very little new in vintage.”

When this forum section was first discussed, a possible name was Cranky Old Guys. That name came from the belief that those divers who feel that a more classic section of vintage diving was needed on VDH and are most likely cranky old guys. But it is also those individuals who actually lived the chosen time period and used the equipment of that era. Those people might also be the ones who grew up with Sea Hunt and Mike Nelson.

The forum will be moderated by Captain and Simonbeans, both vintage in many respects. However these two divers started when J-valves and depth gauges were common and a computer was a distant vision yet to be developed.

Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.

Capillary Depth Gauge Repair

Postby SurfLung » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:42 pm

- The capillary depth gauge on this pressure gauge had dried up, discolored, and shrunk. Thinking it was just tubing I could buy locally, I pretty much wrecked the old tube trying to get the plug out. I finally found the correct sized tubing online thru U.S. Plastic. It's 5/32" Outside diameter and 3/32" inside diameter... Fits in the groove perfectly. I made a new plug by mixing JB Weld and then sucking a little into the end like a straw. It SHOULD work as well as the original. These things were never all that easy to read but I'm at least glad to restore the appearance. The pressure gauge works perfectly.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.
SurfLung
Master Diver

Re: Capillary Depth Gauge Repair

Postby Herman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:32 pm

I have restored a lot of them. I get the tubing from McMaster, same size.
To plug the end, I use Aquaseal, squeese out a drop and suck it up into the tube about 1/8 inch. The key to making them work well is to get the ends of the tubing as close together and square as possible. If you have more than a very slight crack between the ends, it allows air bubble(s) to travel up the tube.
Herman
Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Capillary Depth Gauge Repair

Postby SurfLung » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:59 am

Thanks for the tip... Good thing I bought lots of tubing. I remember getting bubbles in it way back when I had a new wrist version in '72. I used to suck them out. On this one I got the ends touching but I cut a little V on the left tube end thinking to let the water in that way. I probably got too big of a hole...
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.
SurfLung
Master Diver

Return to Classic Vintage Diving