Vintage Equipment Photo Section

Dedicated to the discussion of vintage diving methods and equipment available prior to 1970. This forum section is limited to the diving without modern BCDs or use of an Octopus.

Moderators: simonbeans, captain

Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Bronze06
Master Diver

Re: Vintage Equipment Photo Section

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:44 pm

Link to a fairly fun dive. Using my 1958 DY "Jet Air", Duckfeet, Banjo, and Dogbone US Divers 1961 tank "Pac". Ship lies about 100 meters from our entry point. Both of the divers that I had with me were "Newbie" single hosers on their 10th and 15th dives. They loved it and they are considering becoming Double Hosers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs64v4-dlcY
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:13 am

RUSS,
Nice Video. I had the opportunity to dive the Red Sea in 2015 and remember how great it was. One small point: your back pack, "USD Dogbone" had 2 models. The first one, which was introduced in 1962, is the one you have. The upper shoulder straps pass thru a large ring of the lower shoulder strap to become the sternum strap. This idea lasted till 1963 when USD realized how the upper shoulder straps would slip out of the rings and make it a pain to put on. In 1963, they "returned" to sewn sternum sections and the normal D-rings for the shoulder sections. The "Dogbone" was not available in 1961.
Allan
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Bronze06
Master Diver

Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:23 am

simonbeans wrote:RUSS,
Nice Video. I had the opportunity to dive the Red Sea in 2015 and remember how great it was. One small point: your back pack, "USD Dogbone" had 2 models. The first one, which was introduced in 1962, is the one you have. The upper shoulder straps pass thru a large ring of the lower shoulder strap to become the sternum strap. This idea lasted till 1963 when USD realized how the upper shoulder straps would slip out of the rings and make it a pain to put on. In 1963, they "returned" to sewn sternum sections and the normal D-rings for the shoulder sections. The "Dogbone" was not available in 1961.
Allan

Thanks Allan. Too bad you will never see a Dogbone on Sea Hunt. I love the way they fit. That said I need to get off my butt and order a Travel Harness and a Basket Harness from you, but the old Lady blew all my money last month.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

helomech17
Diver

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:54 pm

swimjim
Master Diver

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:03 pm

I need mushroom valves for the Dacor (MP) regs!

If I remember correctly, the Dacor mouth piece mushrooms are the same as US Divers or Voit. Personally, I find the Dacor mouth pieces to be somewhat klunky. I use a US Divers curved mouth piece and hose set with mine when I dive them.

Bronze06
Master Diver

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:19 pm

:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Previous
Return to Classic Vintage Diving