Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Goodlifedivers
Master Diver
First Name: Danny

Re: Vintage Equipment Photo Section

Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:09 pm

Does it have an adjustable shoulder length?

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:34 pm

Yes.....USD sold these for many years. The material is less stiff than standard nylon strap material. Most any dive shop that has been around for a while probably has several in their bone pile as they made thousands of them. I have seen plenty of them on Craigslist and on line auctions for next to nothing.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

8dust
Master Diver

Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:27 pm

My Goodness, we're a handsome and hardy couple of guys there! 8)
If I wasn't married, and a dude of course, I would so totally want to date me.... :shock: :wink: :mrgreen:

Scott & Bryan are correct on the BP. Nearly everyone seems to bag on them, but I really like it, especially the shoulder buckles and the softer strap material. It just fits me real nice. I also dig that little yellow stripe when I'm in yellow gear mode. The back packs came with several versions of bands, ranging from not easily removed wing nuts only, to a combo of nuts & a clasp, to a camlock kinda deal. The last one of the three is what I like the best because it's the easiest to swap to another tank, but I also keep a little band over the cam lever because I could see it popping open at the wrong time and under the right circumstances.

BTW, that photo, I'm going USD ~1962ish (yea, the BP is later, but I'm talking about the vibe...) and David, I'd say he's got a hard case of USD 1968 going... only thing missing is a smoke... Feel free to pull up the catalog covers in the VDH reference section... The history of vintage advertising can be some pretty funny stuff! :lol:
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Vintage Equipment Photo Section

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:02 pm

Just an FYI on that tank pack with the yellow piped straps. I don't know if they are all like this, but at least mine has cutouts on the band for both AL80s and LP72s. Also, like Bryan said, the D-rings on the shoulder strap (which is how the pack came), have two piece webbing for adjustment. It's my favorite tank pack, and I can never get it away from my wife when she dives.

the Mariner pack, as it is called, appears in the 1974 USD catalog on Page 12. Bryan has a copy of this catalog in the manuals section. I have attached a snip 8)
mariner.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Goodlifedivers
Master Diver
First Name: Danny

Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:15 pm

Now I have something else I need to buy

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

My First Jet Air in Black Phenolic

Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:40 pm

:D Hey Folks,

Just got this in. It will be the first DY I've ever had. I believe it was a fresh water reg due to the bright shiny Stream Air type air outflow port (see pic). Should be fun to rebuild.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bronze06
Master Diver

Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:55 am

They finally came and cleaned up just fine after 40-50 years. I am guessing they are from the late 60s. JMO Big THANKS to David Haas (dhaas for you and I on this Forum) for selling them to me and others at a bargain price. Thanks Dave, they are wonderful. Both came in their factory boxes and had their schematics and warranty number receipts. Really is like a time capsule. Just marvelous! :D

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

TomcatPC
Skin Diver
First Name: Mark

Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:12 pm

Hello
Here is my one and only double hose regulator a US Divers DW Mistral that was given to me in pieces... My first ever regulator rebuild and it works...

My US Divers Calypso-J that I found for $20 in a box full of J-Valves in the corner of a local dive shop. Really starting to love diving this reg!

My Mistral on a 1962 US Divers tank...yes I know there is modern kit lurking about in this photo.

Small US Divers tank that I found at a local antique shop (yes, I've found dive gear at antique shops in Toledo, Ohio...).

US Divers "Aqua-Matic" regulator that was with the small "Vigo"? tank in the above photo. This reg. free flows, but I have no intentions of messing with it anytime soon....

Mark

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:29 pm

I own an Aquamatic. I was going to sell it, but Antique Diver offered to rebuild it for me. I'm glad I had him do that. It's a strange reg as it breaths better underwater then on the surface. I've dove it at several Vintage dive get togethers and it always gets attention. Fun reg and great conversation starter!

Bronze06
Master Diver

Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:48 am

:shock: YEAH BABY. 1959-60 VCR-5 VOIT 50 FATHOM REBUILT, REPAINTED AND DOVE IN ARUBA!!!! DROOL BABY DROOL! It breathes great at 70 feet! :mrgreen:

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:33 am

Totally awesome!

Mark

PS. What paint did you use? Prep method? Thanks.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bronze06
Master Diver

Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:48 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:Totally awesome!

Mark

PS. What paint did you use? Prep method? Thanks.
I picked it up about a year ago on the bay. It had only 70% of its paint left but it was enough to get a VERY close fine metal flake color match down at my local auto store when I was stateside. The color is possibly a tiny shade darker but it was so close I went with it. I figured that it would naturally lighten a bit and has. I stripped the old paint off with paint remover then gave it a bath in a light boric acid solution, rinsed it thoroughly, then hit it up with denatured alcohol wiped off the excess and let it sit. I then just sprayed it with the new paint first giving it a light base coat then a final coat. It then sat up at my home in Texas for around 9 months until I could get back to it. Though I have the original can ring and set screws, I felt that the ring had been fatigued/stretched and would not give me a good hard seal and the cans would rotate so I used a VDH SS ring instead. I took it to Aruba last week and it is now going to dive the Red Sea here in Saudi.

Thanks for the interest.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:14 pm

Had mine down 82 feet at Fortune Pond today. What a sweet breather! :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:50 pm

Russ, thanks for the details. I'm gonna file the info away for when I find a scratched up one. Of course mine is original and mint (info gratuitously thrown in for jealously factor) :mrgreen:
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

TomcatPC
Skin Diver

Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:52 am

Here is my Healthways Scubair "300" that I just got back together tonight.
Mark

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”