Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Vintage Equipment Photo Section

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:08 am

georgeaustin wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:18 pm

This months project finally completed this weekend. Set of WK 38 CF tanks, hydro'd and stamped, ready for filling. Set of 316 SS 6.9 in. bands with cotton doubles harness from A&D / Allan Klauda.

There are no markings other than "Made in USA" on the cleaned and refurbished manifold. (3/4 ST)

I've had a professional photog friend of mine shoot hi res images of the AMF Swimaster "Target" logo and sent the images to a vinyl decal mfg.
Nice set of 38's. I'm almost certain the manifold was made by Sherwood, who made valves for Dacor, Healthways and some others at times.

Trivia question: who was the actress who appeared in a 50's diving movie who also sported a set of 38's?
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:52 pm

antique diver wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:08 am
Trivia question: who was the actress who appeared in a 50's diving movie who also sported a set of 38's?
Front mounted or back mounted? 8)

UPDATE: I have now found proof on the internet that Jane Russell "sported a set of 38's (D-Model)" while working on the set of "Underwater."
JR38s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:13 pm

Beautiful Set of 38s... Congratulations on owning such a nice set.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

antique diver
Master Diver

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:58 pm

georgeaustin wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:18 pm

This months project finally completed this weekend. Set of WK 38 CF tanks, hydro'd and stamped, ready for filling. Set of 316 SS 6.9 in. bands with cotton doubles harness from A&D / Allan Klauda.

There are no markings other than "Made in USA" on the cleaned and refurbished manifold. (3/4 ST)

I've had a professional photog friend of mine shoot hi res images of the AMF Swimaster "Target" logo and sent the images to a vinyl decal mfg.
George, as I took a closer look at the manifold it looks like there is a plugged HP port at the valve outlet. If so, that manifold was probably sold by Healthways, and manufactured by Sherwood.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Beautiful beach dive off Laguna today. Visibility 50+feet where I was diving. Amazing, compared to our usual 15 feet or so. Mark.
Laguna 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver

Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:54 pm

Lucky Dog! Shore diving from the upper Texas coast is usually in 0 to 2' visibility. Once in my lifetime I did catch 20' visibility between the Galveston jetties during an incoming tide. Further south can be somewhat better at times.

Shore diving near my house would be in a stock pond, and you have to share it with cows. They have no toilet manners or sense of hygiene.... but they don't discuss politics.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Hi Bill,

I have no toilet manners or sense of hygiene either, and I gave up on politics a long time ago. You would love diving the Pacific with me. :shock:

Mark

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:28 pm

Looks like a great time!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:41 pm

Bryan wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:28 pm
Looks like a great time!
Fun if you like seeing a bunch of 6 to 8 pound lobster walking around, 20 pound Sheephead following you like puppy dogs hoping your fins will kick up a morsel of food, and a 500 pound Black Sea Bass thunderclapping its gills to warn you out of its territory, all the while swimming through a kelp forest with light shining through the canopy like a redwood grove at dawn. I sucked my 72 down to 300 psi, pulled the reserve, and sucked the remaining air down until I hit the beach. My buoyancy was perfect. A fantastic pure vintage gear dive.

antique diver
Master Diver

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:19 pm

Yes, I would LOVE diving the Pacific with you! :D Francie would too if the water was about 84.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:42 pm

antique diver wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:19 pm
Yes, I would LOVE diving the Pacific with you! :D Francie would too if the water was about 84.
Afraid 84 degrees in So. Cal. ain't gonna happen. If it did all the kelp would be dead and gone overnight. Always hit and miss with shore diving here. Best time of year for Catalina and the outer islands is in the fall, but we have great days throughout the year. We also have stormy crappy days throughout the year. Always hard to plan but we'll make a dive happen.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:03 pm

Thanks, guys

Jane Russell

Just got back from Fiji on 2/24/18. Beqa Lagoon for a week. Woww wowwww wowwww wow wow. I'd never been body slammed against a coral wall by a 14 ft Tiger Shark but there's a first time for everything, I suppose. That shark dive they got there will BLOW YOUR MIND

No comparison - the singularly most awesome diving I've ever done. Anywhere. In. The. World.

Check this out -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/otta3blihwsbr ... k.mp4?dl=0

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:02 pm

georgeaustin wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:03 pm
Thanks, guys

Jane Russell

Just got back from Fiji on 2/24/18. Beqa Lagoon for a week. Woww wowwww wowwww wow wow. I'd never been body slammed against a coral wall by a 14 ft Tiger Shark but there's a first time for everything, I suppose. That shark dive they got there will BLOW YOUR MIND

No comparison - the singularly most awesome diving I've ever done. Anywhere. In. The. World.

Check this out -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/otta3blihwsbr ... k.mp4?dl=0

Great video! Is that why they call you "Three-fingered George" now. :D

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:14 pm

There were a few minutes there where we were wondering if we’d be able to get back to the boat in one piece.
I was heartened by the fact that according to the locals, you can only be bitten if you’ve offended the tribal chieftain or broken another Fijian taboo like being impolite or immodest

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:05 am

A6 Voit Fins. These were probably made in the early 70s, but they are Sea Hunt era viable. They arrived in "Pristine" un-used condition still in their packaging and plastic bag. They still had factory preservative on them. I will be posting more "Fin Pics" for posterity. $45 bones NOS, Made in the USA! WOW!
voit A6.jpg
voit A6 2.jpg
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”