Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
captain
Plank Owner

Re: My own collection by Jiguad

Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:11 pm

Although we have Navy divers on the forum most did not know nor were interested in every detail of the equipment they used. Diving equipment was merely tools to use to get the job done. What color or type paint was of no interest or consequence to them along with other details. Usually it is restorers and collectors like yourself who research such facts.
Captain

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:50 pm

Honestly Jiguad, I read your posts with the idea that you are the expert and I can learn something from you.

I think we already covered my non-mag tank, and Captain was correct, it is a battleship gray.

I have 5 or 6 steel 72's that came from the military. They're standard tanks, but the paint job is different: they're painted black with a green stripe near the top where the tank tapers in towards the valve. And then on the side, the tanks have white stencils that read, "water pressure tested" in white. I can photograph them if you're interested, but I don't think they're unique in any way.

Years ago I had someone tell me in a shop in California that the military used a short valve with a black anodized finish. I have not seen another of those valves since then. I'm under the impression that the military uses so many different types and brands of gear that sorting it all out is almost impossible.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

jiguad
Master Diver
First Name: Puff

Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:14 pm

Thanks Captain and sitkadiver for your messages. You've both absolutely right.

What I've learn on VDH is probably more than 50% of my knowledges about the subject concerning the vintage scuba gears linked to the Navy military divers. The other came from my Navy Manuals from 1959 to 1970 and others manuals from VDH "Manuals & Catalogs" section. And a lot came from my observation of my photographic virtual library acquired all along these past years and related to UDTs, SEALs and USAF pararescuemen whether it was in Vietnam or was it stateside.

About the color of the tank, I've found a pdf, directly downloaded from VDH, a Navy declassified document about the tanks approved by the Navy (you could find the entire document on VDH of course). This is an extract:

I've found today a company in L.A. who sold these paints: http://www.simcocoatings.com/index.html
Unfortunately they sold only large quantity and it will be probably impossible to buy small quantity...
Cheers
Jiguad aka Puff

jiguad
Master Diver

Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:44 pm

sitkadiver wrote:I have 5 or 6 steel 72's that came from the military. They're standard tanks, but the paint job is different: they're painted black with a green stripe near the top where the tank tapers in towards the valve. And then on the side, the tanks have white stencils that read, "water pressure tested" in white. I can photograph them if you're interested, but I don't think they're unique in any way.
Oh yes, it will be nice! Please show me! :wink:
sitkadiver wrote:Years ago I had someone tell me in a shop in California that the military used a short valve with a black anodized finish. I have not seen another of those valves since then. I'm under the impression that the military uses so many different types and brands of gear that sorting it all out is almost impossible.
I've never seen this short valve you're talking about. The only Non Magnetic valve I know is the one approved by the navy and similar to the civilian model with a black coated and non magnetic signature. But the Navy has probably tested other valves before this model became standardized.

I think the Non Magnetic open circuit appear around 1963-1965. The first manual in my posession showing this apparatus is the UDT manual from 1965 (first edition). Between 1960 and 1965, I've nothing... The DA Aqua Master was THE regulator approved by the BUSHIPS in the early 50's. The Navy has used other regulators, especially two stages regulators likes Calypso I and II and later Conshelf, in the 60's but the DAAM is the only single stage regulator to stay in duty until the end of the 70's for all I know. I've also read that they tested Viking scuba apparatus, prior to US Divers apparatus in the early 50's. But JYC have done a good job and a strong business with both armed forces and civilian companies all around the world, especially in USA! :roll:
Cheers
Jiguad aka Puff

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Hi Jiguad...
I have been watching and reading your posts with interest, but I just didn't have the answer you were looking for... so I didn't want to post a rambling, meaningless message. Your collection is interesting, so keep posting and don't be discouraged :), there have been 6771 viewings of your subject
The older I get the better I was.

captain
Plank Owner

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:56 pm

Simco is only about 25 miles from me. They service the ship building and offshore oil rigs industry, big boys and big toys.
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:19 pm

sitkadiver wrote: ....Years ago I had someone tell me in a shop in California that the military used a short valve with a black anodized finish. I have not seen another of those valves since then. I'm under the impression that the military uses so many different types and brands of gear that sorting it all out is almost impossible.
I remember the compact black anodized aluminum Voit valves that were available on their aluminum cylinders in the 70's. These were sold to the public, but may have also been used by the military
The older I get the better I was.

jiguad
Master Diver

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:33 am

antique diver wrote:Hi Jiguad... I have been watching and reading your posts with interest, but I just didn't have the answer you were looking for... so I didn't want to post a rambling, meaningless message. Your collection is interesting, so keep posting and don't be discouraged :), there have been 6771 viewings of your subject
Thanks antique diver. I'm not discouraged, don't worry! I will keep posting my collection to share with VDH community. I wonder myself what I could find more now... :? Regarding the VOIT anodized valve, I will be curious to see that.

Captain, as I've told you, I've contact this company yesterday. But not sure they are interested in selling small quantity, but who knows... I'll let you know if the answer is positive.
Cheers
Jiguad aka Puff

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:54 am

And the Conshelf Non Magnetic... Navy manual dated 1968....I have not seen one of these for sale in years.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

crimediver
Master Diver

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:01 am

Bryan wrote:And the Conshelf Non Magnetic... Navy manual dated 1968....I have not seen one of these for sale in years.
I think I may have that manual. I have a Navy Buships manual that came with my Conshelf 6 non-magnetic regulator. Not sure of the year but I think it was circa 67-68 as I recall.

jiguad
Master Diver

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:14 am

One of the rarest. I 'm still trying to find one... I've seen only one on Ebay, 4 years ago but unfortunately don't won the auction.
Cheers
Jiguad aka Puff

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:15 am

crimediver wrote: I think I may have that manual. I have a Navy Buships manual that came with my Conshelf 6 non-magnetic regulator. Not sure of the year but I think it was circa 67-68 as I recall.
It's in the manuals and catalog section. When I purchased mine the owner sent it with it.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:08 pm

Here are those steel 72's I acquired some years ago. I still dive them and they're all full as I write this.

My best guess is that they were once used by the US Coast Guard. They were new in 1970 and 71. By that time, the USN had long left Sitka leaving the Coast here with an air station and a bouy tender. They valves were civilian chromed brass, and the only indication I have that they government property is the paint scheme and stencils. Wish I had more solid informaiton for you, but my guess is that someone on the board might have more insight.

One odd thing about these tanks is that there are no hydro stamps between they're production dates in the early 70's and 1983. No idea why.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

jiguad
Master Diver

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:34 am

Unfortunately, I can't tell you more about these tanks. Maybe someone could help, but without a brand stamp on it, it will be difficult to said. Thanks for sharing. :wink:
Cheers
Jiguad aka Puff

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:24 am

I'd say its nothing "odd" at all as to the lack of a hydro. If they had their own compressor.....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”