Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

DA-Navy to a DA Aqua-Master

Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:06 pm

Here are a few shots of my orange lable DA-Navy Approved......What you will find unusual about it is that it has been converted to a DA-Aqua-Master inside. I got it this way a year or so ago.....Any idea if this was common practice ?
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:34 am

I cannot say for sure but obviously it is easy to do and I imagine the increase in performance was quickly discovered so I bet many were converted as was yours. As with the DA that you repaired for me it is also obvious that some where along tghe way a potentialy lethal combination of parts found there way into it probably likewaise trying to emulate the performance of the Royal. In this case it did not work so well! James

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:00 am

This was supposed to be the Orange/Yellow lable DA Navy Approved for my collection....Now it's just kind of a good conversation piece.... It breathes just like any other DA Aqua-Master though.... Only Iron Lungs like Broxton Chuck enjoy the original 2nd stage design!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

BROXTON CHUCK

Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:33 am

Back in the late 1950's many dive shops offered upgrades to the older broxtons, and da navy regs by installing the body from an aquamaster into the cans of an older reg. All they did is notch the bottom can, and the body slipped right in. Im sure lots of divers did this too. My old da navy type, and BROXTON Aqua lung both breath very easy, and give plenty of air. They give a real pleasure to my diving. They are original, and are set up per the us divers specs. They wernt stupid. They made them. Anyhow why not convert your orange label back to original by finding a cheap da navy body, and just switch it to make it original again. By the way all you got to do to make a ROYAL is swap the big flow nozzle into an aquamaster. If you have a super nice aquamaster and see a crummy royal on ebay, get the royal, take the nozzle out, and put it into your aquamaster. Presto, "Royal Aquamaster" Then sell the rest of the parts, or keep them for spares.

Turtleguy9
Skin Diver

Re: DA-Navy to a DA Aqua-Master

Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:55 pm

Bryan wrote:Here are a few shots of my orange lable DA-Navy Approved......What you will find unusual about it is that it has been converted to a DA-Aqua-Master inside. I got it this way a year or so ago.....Any idea if this was common practice ?
I was going throught some 1959 Skin Diver Mags yesterday. Dive shops were offering to upgrade your old DA to Aquamaster for $19.95
What a bargain.
Aloha Turtleguy9

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Overpressure breathing reg

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:15 am

You could also change your overpressure breathing close to the Stream air.
Drink lots of Kemp's chocolate Milk-Broxton Chuck needs some

BROXTON CHUCK

Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:59 am

Jerry there are a thousand lakes there in minnesota. Drop into one wont you...... har har har!

Turtleguy9
Skin Diver

DA to Aquamaster

Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:19 am

Aloha Bryan
The 1959 ad from Skin Diver said that converting your DA to Aquamaster would make it breathe 3 times easier.
Of course its kind of like the guys that cut out the rear window on the 63 split window Corvette, to make it look like a 1964. It hurts to look at a ruined classic.
Aloha
Turtleguy9
Roger

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”