Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
treasureman
Master Diver

Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:51 pm

yes sir the rockets were the best. I have some dacor graphite fins, which self destructed after 12 dives. very stiff and breakable. My rockets i still have since i was certified in 1968.

As for snorkels dont wind me up on those. 50 bux for a new design snorkel with a special no wave feature and purge valve. Ok i like the purge valve but anti wave stuff and the high volume barrel these are just window dressing.

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:16 pm

Here is a quote from Ryan in his Q&A posts in response to a question from Bryan concerning Rocket Fins.

Thought that everyone would find it of interest...
rndboulder wrote:Bryan - The real story lies in the fact that the Cousteau teams never used the rocket fins. They chose instead to use jet fins. The unique and patented design of the jet fins makes them a much superior design it terms of performance. Jet fins were used during the Conshelf II undersea habitat featured in the film World Without sun as well as on the original dives on the Britannic jest to name a couple. The ironic thing is jet fins were originally offered to US Divers, but they passed on them. US Divers decided to go with a modular fin design called the Caravel. This was a huge mistake in hindsight. The jet fin has enjoyed a very long run and the caravel was very short lived. The rocket fin was a relatively poor attempt to regain the market share US Divers lost to jet fin. Primarily the Cousteau teams preferred the Jet fins and the Cressisub Rondine fins. In the later years they used the Technisub NASA fins.
-Ryan
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”