Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
duckbill

Editions of "Basic SCUBA"

Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:48 am

Does the enlarged second edition (1963) of "Basic SCUBA" by Fred Roberts lose any of the double hose-pertinent information compared to the first edition of 1960? i.e. Is it merely enlarged, or is some of the original information missing?
Are the 1963 printing and the 1977 printing of the second edition identical in content?

duckbill

Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:44 am

I guess I should also ask if any double hose information is added to the second edition. Does it gain more than it loses, if it loses any at all?

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:28 am

One of the text discussions of the first edition dealt with the working of the Voit VCR-2 50 Fathom Regulator. It included the operation of this regulator in nice detail. In Roberts' second edition the listing included a footnote which reads "1 See first edition BASIC SCUBA for complete description of VCR-2 regulator." This is one example of which I was interested. I am sure there were probably others. However there is much addtional information in the second edition that was not contained in his first. I am fortunate to have both, so I can relate to the book with the data needed.
Allan

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:29 am

One of the text discussions of the first edition dealt with the working of the Voit VCR-2 50 Fathom Regulator. It included the operation of this regulator in nice detail. In Roberts' second edition the listing included a footnote which reads "1 See first edition BASIC SCUBA for complete description of VCR-2 regulator." This is one example of which I was interested. I am sure there were probably others. However there is much addtional information in the second edition that was not contained in his first. I am fortunate to have both, so I can relate to the book with the data needed.
Allan

duckbill

Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:36 am

Thanks for the info Allan.
BTW, one of these days I may be interested in having a canvas tank harness made up. Do you still make them?
-Terry

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:01 am

Yes I do. Send me your address and I will send you the info about them. I will also enclose samples of the materials and colors. Use the private message section of this forum to contact me with your address. Thanks for the inquiry.
Allan

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:02 am

Yes I do. Send me your address and I will send you the info about them. I will also enclose samples of the materials and colors. Use the private message section of this forum to contact me with your address. Thanks for the inquiry.
Allan

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:26 am

I just dived my double harness made by Allan yesterday. It is the deal. I am sooo glad Allan started to make these harnesses for us vintage divers. He is a good Czech dude!!!!
Rob the t shirt guy

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”