Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
treasureman
Master Diver

Stainless top boxes for DA and royals

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:07 am

There is a local forming compnay near me that presses or punches out parts.

I am wondering if it would be cost effective to have the top box punched out in stainless. it would save a bundle in re chroming, and from an exercise point for say 100 pieces it might be cheap enough to get done.

The horn on the top box, are they brazed toi the box. That would be a difficult part to form.

I have been searching Us patent office for Da and royal drawing and specs. Since they are over 15 years old, they would be in the public domain. This could provide an enterprising dude or dudette with some interesting new product. It would almost be like the rebirth of the double hose.

Ok i know..my head is in some crystal clear caribean water... yep it sure is, and with it is my trusted DA Aquamaster, which has served me continuously for over 36 years.

really folks. I have some new hi performance single hoses i keep for backup, but i cant seem to tear myself away from using the double hose. when i get on the dive boat and they see what I am using, ya get a boat load of questions. especially from the newbies. What the heck is that they ask?

Sites such as this that have parts and pieces and do restorations, they are a godsend. How many people threw out their old double hoses when they couldnt get parts.

I digress, thoughts of carribbean blue water s coming back to me again....

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:32 am

Please keep us posted on what u find out. Sounds interesting.

oldmossback

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:43 am

Treasureman..........stainless can be brazed or silversolderd, the silversolder needs a high content of silver and no lead to be safe for organic use. Not the cheap hardware version that has high lead......which is not strong.

My system one attachment is soldered with high content silversolder and it has withstood 3800 + psi. Pretty strong stuff.

I've never scratched the chrome away on the horns to see if they are brazed or soldered........don't know how USD or anyone else did it.

Plastic composite horns could be made, however, I think they would have to have a flange both on the inside and outside with either rivets or screws to hold them in place.......maybe someone else has a better idea here..........the current ones on the USD's are nothing more than a tube with rolled ends and then it was placed in a stamping die to crimp it.
Try another shop.......maybe you'll get a different answer.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”