Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Equipment set up

Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:08 am

As I recently discovered, some modern dive operators do not allow you to use vintage gear (double hose regs) without an alternate and a BCD. Thus I have optained a hookah adapter from Bryan and a swivel from Leisurepro to run a LP hose to an inflator on a SeaTec BC. To eliminate an extra hose, I replaced the inflator with a Scubapro Air2 (combination inflator and alternate regulator). Now I have a new dilema in that all my harnesses or backpacs have chest straps. The Seatec BC has a waist strap and a back of head to crouch to BC strap. What do you think would be the best way to put all this on? Tank first and then try to weave the BC straps around the harness or BC first and fasten the tank harness straps over the BC straps? Obviously the tank harness chest strap has to be under the BC for the BC to operate correctly. Somehow I think these two devices (2 hose regs and BCDs) were never intended to work together. Any advice?

dhaas
Lung Diver

BC use with double hose

Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:34 am

Allan,

My recommendation is to ALWAY put on your BC first and then strap everything over that.

Last thing you'd want (and boat crews will insist on) is having a floatation device athat can come off.

YMMV

David Haas

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:04 am

I have used that configuration often. Put the BC on first, then the tank harness and just connect the chest strap under the BC. Let the end of the chest strap stick out through the neck opening of the BC so the quick release can be easily reached. Weight belt goes on last.
Captain

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:47 am

Well, you could use a wing or back inflate type BC. of the same era as your Seatec horsecollar is the SeaTec Seahorse back inflate wing. These are still being made and it is what I use sometimesand yes it works fine with my double hose. I can also run my dual bladder dacor horsecollar. With a horsecollar I put it on first and everything else after. James

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:31 am

The ideas you guys have given are what I thought I would use. Up until recently I either 1) didn't use a BC (like the old days) or 2) used a surface inflatable vest, like a modern snorkeling vest. I have orally inflated the vest when UW, but it really wasn't designed for that purpose. I am weighted quite well for about 20' which was good for most of the Florida Springs, however when Chucko and I dove the Keystorm in the St. Lawrence to 113', my wet suit was so compressed that I was really negative. I used the vest for some bouyancy control, but the inflator valve isn't the easiest for deflating. I hope to try out the "new" system next week. Thanks for all the advice. When in doubt, ask. The vintage guys are the best.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:40 am

Using a horsecollar for buoyancy control just takes a bit of practice. The good ones are getting harder to find. I understand a current company is making a very nice horsecollar BC but it's very pricy!
Look for one with the push button inflator/deflator on it and a removable bladder. Seatec, Seaquest, TABATA, many other made them. Steer clear of the USD horsecollars. Tom Madere has the only good one I have seen in 15 years. They were very very weak where the bladder and inflator joined together. The others are pretty easy to fix with a little Aqua-Seal and a couple of O-rings in the inflator/deflator. I think Dan has some replacement bags for a few types.....One thing that can be said about about a horsecollar.....When it's fully inflated on the surface it will give you a hell of a wegie but you will float like a damn NOAA weather buoy and you can guarantee your head will stay above water!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:49 am

So that is why u like the horsecollar...WEDGIES! :D

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”