Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Re: Trieste Update

Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:10 pm

I guess I'm always looking for a solution that my favorite lathe hobbiest/youtuber Steve Jordan calls "rock solid". A simple sharpie indexing mark on the box and the first stage could suffice.

I know others have experienced decreased performance b/c the box got misaligned. Maybe cranking down on a degreased interface'd do it. Stick-tion is powerful.

Vancetp
Master Diver

Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:47 pm

simonbeans wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:12 pm
The story of the Trieste is rather long and convoluted. Many of us feel the smaller, dome shaped diaphragm was the reason for the lack of interest in it over the years. As most everybody knows, the Trieste used essentially the same 1st stage as the Titan series of single hose regulators. On the body of the first stage of the single hose was a plastic threaded plug that once removed could take the second stage of the Trieste. (Smart engineering move?) Thus a smart young vintage diver started playing with designs of a second stage to make the Titan into a double hose regulator. Possibly this idea was noticed by another diving semi-genius and a second stage was developed. Seems the main issue with producing a second stage to fit the Titan body was the threads. Did Voit-Swimaster at the time use a common thread? Oh no. So it took another diving mastermind/machinist to make the second stage based on the genius design with the ideas of the young vintage diver. Following along? So now a double hose with the associated ports of the Titan/Trieste was made, but alas, no cans to put it in. The stage bodies would fit into the USD double hose cans so that was a problem sort of solved. Along came a diver/supplier who had reproduced a plastic can for the Jet-Airs, or Mistrals or other Voit regulators that used them. By having the yoke side can cut to the dimensions of the now Titan/Trieste body, a new regulator could be had and Wa-La, it was.
About this time I was really into having all sorts of regulators so with the help of the aforementioned souls, I acquired all the components to make up a Titan/Trieste/Whatever. Instead of using the plastic bodies (I am cheap) I had a Nemrod Snark III body which fit the T/T guts and it now could have a name. Back to the genius, who dubbed it the PEGASUS.
Here it is:

I dove it once on one of the Sand Dog events. It has sat on a shelf ever since.
I must have read this long ago, and probably before I made my own Titan II DH conversions. But, I'm slightly confused.

I know the top box is not a Snark III since that was a casting, but the bottom is Snark III or Silver, of course. The Snark III and Silver, and USD top boxes will play nicely together. Did you use a USD 2 stage top box with a tab, or maybe both, removed? If so, then the first stage body is offset, right? This wouldn't be earthshaking, but a bit inconvenient.

If it is offset, what did you have to do to the lever (if anything).

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:22 pm

I get confused on the terms top and bottom cans. I normally use front and rear or yoke and label. Any way, the rear, yoke side was a USD AM, 1st stage centered and a late Nemrod Snark III front or label side can.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:52 am

Vancetp wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:47 pm
simonbeans wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:12 pm
The story of the Trieste is rather long and convoluted. Many of us feel the smaller, dome shaped diaphragm was the reason for the lack of interest in it over the years. As most everybody knows, the Trieste used essentially the same 1st stage as the Titan series of single hose regulators. On the body of the first stage of the single hose was a plastic threaded plug that once removed could take the second stage of the Trieste. (Smart engineering move?) Thus a smart young vintage diver started playing with designs of a second stage to make the Titan into a double hose regulator. Possibly this idea was noticed by another diving semi-genius and a second stage was developed. Seems the main issue with producing a second stage to fit the Titan body was the threads. Did Voit-Swimaster at the time use a common thread? Oh no. So it took another diving mastermind/machinist to make the second stage based on the genius design with the ideas of the young vintage diver. Following along? So now a double hose with the associated ports of the Titan/Trieste was made, but alas, no cans to put it in. The stage bodies would fit into the USD double hose cans so that was a problem sort of solved. Along came a diver/supplier who had reproduced a plastic can for the Jet-Airs, or Mistrals or other Voit regulators that used them. By having the yoke side can cut to the dimensions of the now Titan/Trieste body, a new regulator could be had and Wa-La, it was.
About this time I was really into having all sorts of regulators so with the help of the aforementioned souls, I acquired all the components to make up a Titan/Trieste/Whatever. Instead of using the plastic bodies (I am cheap) I had a Nemrod Snark III body which fit the T/T guts and it now could have a name. Back to the genius, who dubbed it the PEGASUS.
Here it is:

I dove it once on one of the Sand Dog events. It has sat on a shelf ever since.
I must have read this long ago, and probably before I made my own Titan II DH conversions. But, I'm slightly confused.

I know the top box is not a Snark III since that was a casting, but the bottom is Snark III or Silver, of course. The Snark III and Silver, and USD top boxes will play nicely together. Did you use a USD 2 stage top box with a tab, or maybe both, removed? If so, then the first stage body is offset, right? This wouldn't be earthshaking, but a bit inconvenient.

If it is offset, what did you have to do to the lever (if anything).
Allan, very nice use of Nemrod cans! Having an extra set here I think I'll give that a try. :)
The older I get the better I was.

Vancetp
Master Diver

Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:26 pm

simonbeans wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:22 pm
I get confused on the terms top and bottom cans. I normally use front and rear or yoke and label. Any way, the rear, yoke side was a USD AM, 1st stage centered and a late Nemrod Snark III front or label side can.
OK, still confused. Please take the following questions simply as I want to know, and I might be missing something.

The DAAM guts side box is offset in order to center the lever with a DAAM valve. The Titan II first does not need to be offset, it needs to be centered. Also, the Titan II has only one tab cut instead of the DAAM's two tabs.

Using one tab, and eliminating the other might or might not align the second stage jet to the intake horn. I don't know. I have not looked into that, but due to experience, I am pretty sure it isn't good.

So, the DAAM box hole offset will move the Titan II/Trieste first stage lever off center, requiring a different length lever in order to compensate.

My question is, did you assemble your regulator using a DAAM guts box, or did you have a USD single stage guts box cut to fit the Titan II? If you were able to utilize a 2 stage guts box somehow, I'd love to know how you did it.

Please advise!

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”