Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
Crannogdiver
First Name: Robert

Early Essgee Mistral spare/service parts?

Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:50 am

Hi all,

My first post here. I recently started shore diving this summer with a 1964-ish DA Aquamaster that was upgraded and rebuilt by VDH with new hoses etc and have caught the vintage diving bug in a big way. I absolutely love it. My new modern regs and BCD have been used 2 or 3 times all summer vs 12-15 times for the double hose setup.

A nice looking early Siebe Gorman Essgee Mistral reg body (with the diamond shaped ID plate and four screws holding the can together) just popped up on a local classifieds site here in Scotland and I have bought it. Waiting for delivery.
I'm after hoses and mouthpiece and non-return valves if these had any, plus the service parts to hopefully bring it back to life.

Does VDH or anyone else offer these for the Siebe Gorman Essgee Mistral? Didn't see any listed. Don't know if the hoses/internals from any other DH regs fit.

Again, I'm in Scotland but fine with ordering from US or anywhere else for that matter. Many thanks for any info in advance!

Crannogdiver

Re: Early Essgee Mistral spare/service parts?

Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:50 pm

If I could add to this - does anyone know if the Siebe Gorman Essgee Mistral is in any way related to the Mistrals from La Spirotechnique or US Divers? Is it just the basic Cousteau-Gagnan patent used in these single stage designs (at least I think they are all single stage) except they all have their own unique parts?

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:05 am

Hi Crannogdiver, and welcome to the forums!

The Siebe Gorman Essgee Mistral was produced under license from Spirotechnique, it incorporated several changes and several generations over time - one of which was an HP port for a gauge!

Try getting in touch with Adair on the board for more info or check out his site CG-45.com. He’s got quite an extensive collection of double hose regs, including Siebe Gormans.

Be sure to post photos of your new acquisition!

Crannogdiver

Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:20 am

Hello Drado - thanks very much for that - I suspected there were similarities in general design but a few unique aspects between models. I'll contact Adair soon, the CG-45 website is an excellent resource but I've only had a brief look here and there. A ton of different regulators on there. Photos forthcoming soon!

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”