Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

My Trieste

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:31 am

My New-To-Me Trieste...
- It just arrived yesterday and I mounted it on my Twin 38s to see how it breathes. Seems to breathe easily enough... Didn't feel hard to breathe anyway. I'm going to dive it in the lake tonight after work and see how well it works under water. I bought this from Allan. It was restored by Greg awhile back but Allan never got around to diving it. Allan DID say that Greg told him this was one of the best breathing Triestes he had seen. Considering the discussions on modifications to improve performance, I'm interested to find out what-all Greg did to it in his re-build... I think I'll PM him on that.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: My Trieste

Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:25 pm

Looking forward to your dive report! :wink:

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:00 am

- I dove the Trieste late yesterday afternoon with my buddy Rich (50,001 Questions). Long story short, it breathes like a DAAM. In other words it breathes just fine. We dove for 57 minutes at depths from 16-30 feet. I had it mounted on a set of Twin 38s which positioned it right against my back and high on the chest... About perfect position. I'm very happy with this Trieste!
- The dive was really fun, too. We went further down the shore than usual and encountered some new sights. I was looking for some anchors I'd seen down there a few years ago. But instead, we found some big boulders and TWO fishing rods. Visibility was 20 feet... Maybe more but we were in the fading light of the evening. Water temp was nice, too. We wore 3mm suits and hoods but no gloves nor booties. Thermocline was right at 30 feet... Icy cold. Nothing to see there.
- Interesting phenomenon... We've had pretty good water clarity all Summer and as a result, the milfoil has been growing deeper... We used to get past it at about 12 ft deep. Now it is creeping all the way out to the 20 foot depths. I've heard fisherman say that gives more habitat to the fishes. I'm not so sure it will be good for the diving though.
- Another observation: The Zebra Mussels have been killed off quite a bit but not completely out in front of our place. There are sloughed off shells around all of the big rocks they were attached to in previous years. But when we got into the big boulders down the shore, they were THICK with Zebra Mussels... Like 5-6inches thick.
- Finally, Thanks Allan for selling me this very nice Trieste. And Thanks Greg for getting it all working so well. - Eben
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver
First Name: John

Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:09 pm

Wish it wasn't so far to drive to dive with you guys for a day. Sounds like fun.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:52 pm

Thanks for the report! Looks like you guys had fun. :D Looking forward to our "Trieste" dive in a couple weeks!

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”