Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Completed my HW SCUBA restoration

Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:30 pm

Well, after a year of working on the damn thing I finally finished my HW SCUBA project. Special thanks to Rob at The Scuba Museum for the rubber parts, to Terry (whose Hope-Page conversion to 1.5" hoses I emulated), to BT for his pantyhose trick, to Phil for his exhaust clamp directions, and to all those who gave info on my/our exhaust issues. It has a cracking pressure of 1" H2O and breathes about as well as can be expected.

P.S. I started this project and felt compelled to finish it; however, I'll take my Mistral any day! :)
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Re: Completed my HW SCUBA restoration

Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:10 pm

Is that the original label and chrome ?

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:38 pm

h2operations wrote:
Yup.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:29 am

Looks great Mark! Nice work. :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:38 pm

That's a really nice looking HW SCUBA regulator! Good job Mark. :D

Was that clamp easy to put in place? Phil and I have been using those thin SS strips to make clamps for numerous easier to get to diaphragms, mouthpieces and other items with good results. I didn't think about it shaving them down a bit for your application. :D
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:54 pm

antique diver wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:38 pm
That's a really nice looking HW SCUBA regulator! Good job Mark. :D

Was that clamp easy to put in place? Phil and I have been using those thin SS strips to make clamps for numerous easier to get to diaphragms, mouthpieces and other items with good results. I didn't think about it shaving them down a bit for your application. :D
Hi Bill. Took a few tries. Had to finally leave a larger end so I could drill a hole for the bolt. Nothing that tin snips and a Dremel couldn't handle.

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:02 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
h2operations wrote:
Yup.
It looks really nice. I have been tinkering with some plating/ chrome lately and was wondering if you did as well. Is your other secret the can of ZEP stainless steel cleaner is see in the background ?

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:03 pm

h2operations wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:02 pm
ScubaLawyer wrote:
h2operations wrote:
Yup.
It looks really nice. I have been tinkering with some plating/ chrome lately and was wondering if you did as well. Is your other secret the can of ZEP stainless steel cleaner is see in the background ?
Nope, I don't do chrome or plating. I send that work out to a local mom & pop motorcycle chrome shop. The chrome on this reg looked brand new when I got it. I ran it through an ultrasonic bath but that is it. The ZEP is actually for the tops of my stainless steel workbenches. Never thought to use them on a reg.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:33 am

Nice job on your HW reg. I have not yet got interested in the Healthways regs but I've heard they can be really good breathers. On taking a year to finish... I have a Dacor Clipper I was all hot on re-building... Even got an IP adaptor from Vance... But there it sits. Your Voit NAVY Phoenix inspired me to get my NAVY back up and running... Maybe this will get me back onto the Clipper!

Thanks for posting the great story and photos. :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”