Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
James
Lung Diver
First Name: James

band clamp/exhaust horn interference

Fri May 08, 2020 3:06 pm

I'm working on a RAM, and replacing the clips with a band clamp (from Scuba Museum). The clamp has a recess for the exhaust horn, but this particular can has the horn sitting damn near on the lip of the can.... even with the cutout, it interferes with the clamp. So my question is can I trim the recess on the clamp further (would have to go all the way to the outer ring) without ill effects, or should I be looking at tweaking the horn a bit to gain clearance.
Any advise appreciated
Respectfully,
James

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Re: band clamp/exhaust horn interference

Fri May 08, 2020 3:39 pm

Thats different. I haven't run into that on any of my 5 double hoses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Fri May 08, 2020 8:05 pm

A picture of the issue would help.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Chris
Master Diver

Fri May 08, 2020 9:43 pm

Not to be a smartass, but you are fitting it with the diaphram installed, right?

Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

James
Lung Diver

Fri May 08, 2020 10:24 pm

Please ask the "are you stupid" questions.... wouldn't be the first time I was stupid! in this case, yes the diaphragm was installed. The issue seams to be that the gap between the horn and the lip of the can is to narrow for even the notched clamp.
HornGap.jpg
ClampNotch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris
Master Diver

Wed May 13, 2020 1:47 pm

What does it look like with everything assembled? Doesn't look like it would be rubbing by more than a tiny bit if you had to file a sliver off the clamp.

captain
Plank Owner

Thu May 14, 2020 10:37 am

You have a early can, later ones had a slightly longer horn to clear the band clamp. Grind away, it won't affect the clamp. I have had to do it on a few regs.
Captain

James
Lung Diver

Sun May 17, 2020 7:57 pm

Thanks, Captain.... and all of you here! I thought it might be something like that, but I'm new to this DH stuff, and deeply appreciate the collected knowledge, and advice here.

Respectfully,

James

James
Lung Diver

Tue May 19, 2020 8:48 am

So, I went a different direction... What's old is new again. Somewhere in these archives I had seen an advertisement for screw clamps to replace the c-clips..... So, I reproduced the idea in plastic with M3 nuts/screws. The band clamp will end up on my Ebay rescue Dehli DAAM.
DH_Can_Screw_Clamp_Installed.jpg
DH_Can_Screw_Clamps.jpg
Not as easy to install/remove as the band clamp.... but made with what was on hand (can't beat the price!).
Respectfully,
James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris
Master Diver

Thu May 21, 2020 4:42 pm

Might want to hang on to that band clamp for a while. Till your sure the plastic clamps are going to work. That band clamp will be a whole lot stronger with the angled clamping action going all the way around the can. Granted your hopefully not using you air hornes as a thigh master.

James
Lung Diver

Mon May 25, 2020 12:32 pm

Chris wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:42 pm
Might want to hang on to that band clamp for a while. Till your sure the plastic clamps are going to work. That band clamp will be a whole lot stronger with the angled clamping action going all the way around the can. Granted your hopefully not using you air hornes as a thigh master.

I absolutely agree... If these don't work out, I'll trim a band clamp. There will be lots of pool testing in my near future!

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”