VR1 Project Helpers
- Back in 2013 I wanted a Voit VR1 regulator. And, seeing how folks were making "faux" regulators from Mistral guts and Rob's plastic Voit cans, I thought to build a VR1 the same way... Only with metal cans. So, have you ever tried to find a Voit front can for sale? They are not to be had at any price. So, I mentioned it to SeaHunt Jerry and he says, "I got ripped off on a Voit Navy with a chewed up back can but the front can looks okay except for having holes drilled in it." So, he literally GIVEs this can to me. I offered to buy him a nice lunch and he says "forget it". I insisted he take something and he says, "Okay send me $25". Thank you Jerry.
- So next I needed a good Mistral guts and back can. These I got from Rob's Scuba Museum at a bargain price... Is there anyone else in the world that sells Mistral "guts" and cans? Thank you Rob.
- Next I needed to repair the holes in the front can. It turns out you can solder brass and when you plate it, the plating will stick to the solder. So, I got started on this as a do-it-yourself project... Got a nickel stripping kit from Brownells gunsmith supply. I think I got the top coat of chrome off with Hydrochloric acid. All set to do the soldering repair and I saw some of the repair and chrome jobs done by DAVE. So, the heck with DIY, I sent it all to DAVE and it came back looking beautiful. Thank you Dave.
- Next came diaphragm hoses and mouthpiece from Bryan and Rob, and finally the reproduction VR1 "Voit Lung" label from Allan. Thank you Bryan, Rob and Allan. I may have missed somebody but you can see I got help from at least 5 VDH friends on this one.
- This has become one of my favorite regulators. It's an easy breather, too. I dove it at each of my Sea Hunt Forever events.