Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

What have we here?

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:22 pm

Besides being a non-mag AM, what have we here? Don't recognize the label.

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: What have we here?

Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:24 pm

That is the non-magnetic label (sticker).

Does it have the mu stamp on the back? Can you take a picture?

Actually I don't think it is a mu, I think it is a lower case Psi letter. The stamp I have seen looks like a trident. Ψψ

Thanks
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:10 pm

luis wrote:

Actually I don't think it is a mu, I think it is a lower case Psi letter. The stamp I have seen looks like a trident. Ψψ

Thanks
Hi Luis,

Kind of what I thought  re label. It definitely has a Mu symbol stamped on it. No trident(s). I don't have it to take another picture.  I dove with a "vintage" group yesterday in Monterey.  On the way back home I stopped and spent the night at Sam Miller's house.  He had it on his bookshelf.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:33 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
luis wrote:

Thanks
Hi Luis,

Kind of what I thought  re label. It definitely has a Mu symbol stamped on it. No trident(s). I don't have it to take another picture.  I dove with a "vintage" group yesterday in Monterey.  On the way back home I stopped and spent the night at Sam Miller's house.  He had it on his bookshelf.
Is it the lower case Mu? μ

If you have a chance to take a picture of it, I would like to see it. I have seen a few, but I thought they had a line u the center, making it look like a trident.

I have seen them with the sticker, but the sticker often fell off. It doesn't seem that it was intended to be too permanent.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:49 pm

luis wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:33 pm
ScubaLawyer wrote:
luis wrote:

Thanks
Hi Luis,

Is it the lower case Mu? μ

If you have a chance to take a picture of it, I would like to see it. I have seen a few, but I thought they had a line u the center, making it look like a trident.

I have seen them with the sticker, but the sticker often fell off. It doesn't seem that it was intended to be too permanent.
Can't get a picture of it now. Will do next time I'm over there. It looks like an "M" with the lowercase Mu symbol superimposed on top of it. Guess it does look kind of trident-like.

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:32 pm

Fitting that it is sitting on a book shelf with books about Cousteau.....

USdiver
Master Diver

Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:03 pm

IIRC, US Divers made approximately three runs of non-magnetic, low mu, DAAMs for the US Navy. The first two runs had the standard tab attached labels, although in painted brass. The third and final run, circa 1970 - 71 had the sticker label shown here.

It's a genuine non-mag DAAM.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:31 pm

Agree with George. The sticker label ones are super hard to find, probably because it was a sticker and therefore most of them didn't survive. That's quite a find.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”