Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Argonaut Kraken on research assignment

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:47 pm

NOTE....This IS NOT the US Navy. It is being conducted by one of our Allies.

I'm researching on the acquisition of vital signs in real time during diving (I'm a physician and researcher for the Navy). After a series of dives capturing SpO2 (hemoglobin saturation on oxygen) using an optical device inside my drysuit, my team decided to make it more complicated and much more interesting... monitoring CO2 after each breathing cycle during the dive. For that purpose, the Kraken was the only modern regulator which would allow us to isolate the exhaled air through a hose.
The idea is the fit a portable mainstream capnograph (battery operated) in the exhalation line (attached is a photo of the device). My comrades at the Navy will develop a dry box to hold the device and they need to fit one short hose between the dsv mouthpiece and the dry box (capnograph housing) and another short hose between the box and the Kraken can.

We still don't have the "dry box" yet, so the openings can have any diameter. We can design the openings with the same diameter as the Kraken can openings to make it easier. As soon as we have it, of course we can share imagens/movies with you.
The research is about diving physiology and it tries to prove the existence of an untold phenomenon during ascent and descent related to a physiological ventilation/perfusion mismatch that (if confirmed) may lead to a change in decompression algorithms.

Thank you for your interest in this research project. Yes, the capnograph uses infrared and yes it's cross section may be a little smaller than the exhaust hose so I wouldn't be surprised if the exhaust flow resistance turns to be increased. Nonetheless this will be of low relevance to the study for the following reasons:

- the dives I plan to perform with the Kraken "capnograph-modified" regulator will be experimental dives and will relatively shallow and safe
- I don't intend to compare with any other regulator because the only way to measure exhaled CO2 in a regulator is using a double hose one
-what I really want to compare is the differences in CO2 exhalation between descents and ascents during the dive. The data I have so far using real time dive oximetry suggests during the descent phase of the dive there may be a ventilation-perfusion mismatch reduces the gas exchange at the alveolar level. Using capnography may be a much more accurate measurement method to evaluate the same phenomena.

I'm doing this research as a Navy Researcher (civilian and independent as I am a physician) and they will try to create the dry housing to fit in the capnograph and to connect to the exhalation hose.

Thank you and sooner or later I may ask your help within this process. Congratulations on developing a great product as the Kraken (everyone gets really jealous on the dive boat every time I dive with it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Argonaut Kraken on research assignment

Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:06 pm

That's an honor to have the Argonaut Kraken to be chosen to facilitate that research!
The older I get the better I was.

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Sounds fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

couv
Master Diver

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:03 pm

Congratulations Bryan & Luis.

This is damn interesting. Please keep us updated on the project.

I'm not a rebreather diver, but I've often wondered why a device such as the capnograph is not part of a rebreather system.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:30 am

He found us as opposed to the other way around.......Didn't even know it was happening I just figured another Kraken was headed overseas :D

Luis is very interested in the study and we agree that it may have applications for future adventures for the Kraken.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”